Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Parasites, pathogenic bacteria & fungus

My whole life I've had digestive problems and have never felt "good" as long as I can remember. About a year ago I had a seizure and was diagnosed with "leaky gut syndrome" by an immunologist after doing an extensive allergy panel and discovering I am pretty much allergic to everything. At that time, I was placed on a very strict candida diet (no sugar including fruit or alcohol, no dairy, no caffeine, no complex carbohydrates, no fungus, no gluten, only organic foods, etc). I was also taking high dose probiotics, prebiotics, an adrenal support supplement, grapefruit seed extract, etc. I was feeling absolutely no relief, so about a month or so ago a nutritionist ordered a stool test for me, which showed 2 parasites, a pathogenic bacteria, and a fungus thriving happily in my gut. She put me on a 6-week regimen of extremely high dose probiotics, an herbal treatment for parasites, bacteria and fungus (called Apex GI Synergy), Interfase, vitamin B12, high doses of fish oil, coconut oil, and lots of fresh lemon for my liver to help it cycle out the waste. I am not feeling much better and this restricted diet is so hard to keep up long-term. The herbal treatment course will be done in the next couple of weeks. What would you recommend I do as a next step from here? I just want to finally feel better. I'm suffering almost daily migraines, frequent nausea, CONSTANT bloating and gas, occasional stabbing lower abdominal pain, constant alternating constipation and diarrhea, frequent leg/foot cramps, constant low energy, hair loss in waves, more and more frequent fainting (I have a congenital arrhythmia which has gotten worse in the last year), and just a general malaise. I have been tested for AIDS, Hashimoto's, and they did an endoscopy which only showed redness and swelling in my stomach.

Sorry, I was notified that my question was determined to be "worth" more than $14, but with all the medications and supplements I have to buy, I can't afford to see a doctor or pay more.  $14 is an hour of pay for me.  Please have compassion and provide me with a little guidance, I am desperate...

I am online and happy to help you with your question today. I am happy to help you at this price point :)

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulty your have been having for so long.

At this point it sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?

Well I think it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief. It seems obvious to me that your current doctors have reached the bottom of their bag of tricks and, yet, you are still having these problems.

At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

If you could tell me what large city you live near and how far it would be possible for you to travel in seeking treatment I would be happy to give you some names. Of course, you could also ask friends and associates or check the internet yourself. Let me know what you would like to do.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. I wish I had the money to be seen by a whole team of experts and get a bunch of testing done. I do not have health insurance. My stepdad has Lyme disease so our family has certainly found out how typically useless and expensive the healthcuse system is, even when you DO have insurance. I live in Denver and could travel anywhere in the country for a few days probably, but would not be able to afford whatever tests and treatment they would inevitably want to do. Sad truth. Thank you for your time. I will of course give you a good rating.

Many University hospitals will give you state-of-the-art care on a sliding scale and, many times, for free.

I suggest you call one of these institutions and ask to speak to someone in patient services and see if they can put you in one of these programs....I bet that they can :)

There is a very good university hospital in Denver. Here is how you can contact them:

http://denverhealth.org/ForPatientsandVisitors.aspx

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.