Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I was off my crestor and tri-cor for two weeks. Can this make

I was off my crestor and tri-cor for two weeks. Can this make my numbers jump extremely high? My meds usually maintain my numbers but I'm sure they can always be better. I'm due to have my blood work again and I'd like to have my doctor add the Particle test with the normal lipid test. Thank you.
Marcy Johnson

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

I would expect that having been off your medication for two weeks, that your cholesterol levels would be about back to your baseline levels

RickMD :

Being off the medication would not be expected to make your lab values larger then they would have been without any medication.

RickMD :

I would wait on getting your blood tested until such time as you have been back on your medication at least a month. This way your test would, once again, show how well your medications are controlling your lipid levels.

RickMD :

As far as the particle test is concerned, I believe it is a very worthwhile test. My doctor uses it when testing my blood lipid levels.

RickMD :

Here is a very good article from a trusted source that discusses this new and exciting test in detail:

RickMD :

Marcy,

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

RickMD :

So. What is the take home message?

Customer:

When you say being back to my base line, I'm not quite sure what you mean. In other words are you saying that it could have made the number jump as they did? It has been about a month or more since the last test so I'm ready to have it again. What are your thoughts about the Particle test as well?

RickMD :

Get back on your meds and, after a month or so, do a blood lipid level Also, if the particle test is available at the lab you use, I would recommend having it done.

Customer:

What could make the number jump so high for being off the two weeks, or have my meds not been doing there job all along?

RickMD :

By going back to baseline I mean, for example, if your values (total cholesterol, LDL, HDL and triglycerides) were, say, 300,150, 30 and 350 before you took any medication, they would now be at that level again since you have been off the meds

RickMD :

You can't say anything about how the meds are working when you have been off the drugs for 2 weeks. And, yes, the values you got on a test while off the meds would be what you would expect if you had no treatment at all.

RickMD :

If they are elevated now, then you need to go back on the medications....retest in a month and, if still elevated, perhaps add another medicine to the group you are already taking.

RickMD :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Usually my meds are doing there job while on them, but certainly good be better. Unfortunately, I have gained weigth since I went through menopause -8 years ago- so I'm sure that has added to some of the problem. I'm thinking the the most valuable thing I can do formyself if lose the DAMN weight and stop complaining!

RickMD :

I think the particle test gives another set of very important data when combined with the standard results such as LDL, HDL, Total cholesterol and triglycerides. I think this would be a good test for you to have once your are stable back on your cholesterol medicine

RickMD :

Concerning loosing weight I am in the same boat as you.....minus the menopause, of course ;)

RickMD :

Why is it that when we get older and appreciate good food we don't need so much, but as a teenager when we need tons of food we wouldn't care if we were eating ketchup on cardboard?

RickMD :

Not fair

RickMD :

I suggest you get back on the meds, have you blood retested in a month, including the particle size test, and then talk to your doctor about what to do next.

RickMD :

Dose this sound like a good plan?

Customer:

Thank you Rick. I'n very curious, where are you? I hope I can get my act together. We don't have any heart issues in my family although the five f us sibling all have high cholesterol and are on meds. Seeing this in my 3 children as well!

RickMD :

I am in very Northern USA, almost up against the Canadian boarder.

RickMD :

I'm glad I could be of service.

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

RickMD :

Have a good day.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Rick. You deserve the happy face! Also, I love your sense of humor. We have family who live in a small town in western NY about 2 hours from Canada. As as matter of fact we were just up there visiting this past weekend. So beautiful up there. I tell God that I want my part of Heaven to look like that as well as the sea shore. Have a great week!

Marcy Johnson

Mary,

I trained, in part, in NYC. Never made it upstate, although I've heard it is wonderful country.

I live surrounded by over a million acres of national forest....it just doesn't get any better than that -- well, maybe, a happy face from you comes close :)

Let me know if I can help you again in the future.

Dr. Rick