Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I have Hep C and am not a candidate for triple therapy. I am

I have Hep C and am not a candidate for triple therapy. I am also reluctant to give up a year of my life on something uncomfortable that also may not work.

I have heard of promising non-interferon based treatments that may be available in a few years. My doctor is not optimistic about these treatments ever getting past FDA. What is your opinion on this research?

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

While significant progress is being made along these lines, unfortunately, I have to agree with your doctor....it is unlikely that these non-interferon therapies will be available anytime soon.

RickMD :

The research is still in the very early stages and when a proven treatment, such as triple therapy is already available, the FDA sets a very high bar for anything new.

RickMD :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

RickMD : I am online and happy to help you with your question today.
RickMD : While significant progress is being made along these lines, unfortunately, I have to agree with your doctor....it is unlikely that these non-interferon therapies will be available anytime soon.
RickMD : The research is still in the very early stages and when a proven treatment, such as triple therapy is already available, the FDA sets a very high bar for anything new.
RickMD : Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?
RickMD : I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A few of the national support groups seem to have gotten some of their information wrong. First they told me I HAD to get a biopsy, and then that the new therapy should be on the market in 2 or 3 years. I don't remember which ones I called but somehow they should be better informed.

Triple therapy also scares me - I have had major depression in the past, but it was treatment resistant. I have ulcerative colitis (auto-immune), hypothyroid, migraines, fibromyalgia...As long as interferon and ribovarin are involved, I am afraid of it. At 59, I'd feel like I'm giving up a year of my life. I am not really sure if these things disqualify me from triple therapy, but I'm a big believer in getting what you expect, and what I expect is that triple therapy will be hell.

When you say "anytime soon" do you mean, maybe in 20 years? Or are you saying not in the next year or two? What do you think of participating in clinical trials? I understand that I may not be accepted because of my other issues. And I would certainly speak with my doctor first, but I would appreciate your input.

I can understand your concerns about triple therapy but, unfortunately, I don't think these other therapies are going to be available even in the next decade...but, of course, there is no way to tell. It is not, in my opinion, going to be in the next year or two....

Clinical trails are an excellent idea and I would encourage you to seek them out and see if you can fit into one that might help you. You can go to this webpage for information on every clinical trail now going on or looking for patients to join:

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/

Also, if you want a second opinion on your liver disease and possible treatment options I would highly recommend a personal friend of mine, Howard Monsour, MD Chief, Section of Hepatology at The Methodist Hospital in Houston for another opinion.

Liver Specialists Of Texas XXXXXSuite 1990
Houston, TX 77030

http://www.methodisthealth.com/basic.cfm?id=39602

He is one of the worlds leading liver experts and might have some insight on what you are going through and what other options you may have.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you know of someone in Southern California? Flying to Texas for an appointment isn't feasible at this time.

Thanks

Yes,

One of the top liver institutes is located in Los Angles at UCLA, called the Pfleger Liver Institute.

Professor Leonard Goldstein, MD is one of the top liver doctors in the Country:

100 UCLA Medical Plaza, Suite 255
Los Angeles, CA 90095 (NNN) NNN-NNNNInformation and referral

Here is the Phleger Institutes webpage:

http://www.uclahealth.org/body.cfm?id=453&action=detail&limit_department=28&limit_division=1046&limit_program=5252&CFID=89114950&CFTOKEN=49725410

As someone who has asked 14 questions on this web site, you know how to mash the positive feedback button already. But. Did you know the one labeled "Excellent" is the most fun to push of all? ;-)

Take care and best of luck to you....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I did know that the one labeled "Excellent" is the most fun to push! Since you have given me such good information, I will have fun.

Thanks!

Let me known if I can do anything else to help you in the future -- so you can have more fun pushing buttons ;) lol!

Thank you and have a good day.