Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

HI, i am 42, male. i have developed general itching which seems

HI, i am 42, male. i have developed general itching which seems to be getting worse. I had an infection in my small finger nail. Treated with antibiotic ontment and cleared. Itching started rectal and now is all over, some small red bumps but not all over. I have celiac disease and am bi sexual but have never had unprotected sex. Are there any test you would recommend?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

how long has this been going on for?

Customer:

about 3 weeks

RickMD :

Did this start around when you were taking the antibiotics?

Customer:

no

RickMD :

Ok. Do you have any other symptoms then the red bumps and itching all over?

Customer:

i used a topical antibiotic,

Customer:

yes, some shortness of breathe but not sure its any worse than normal. also have tingling in my hands and feet

Customer:

also, muscle weakness and fatigue

Customer:

i started gluten free diet about 60 days ago.

RickMD :

Ok. Well, since the itching has spread all over your body and you are now getting these red bumps I do not feel that this is something you are going to be able to take care of at home using over the counter treatments.

RickMD :

Being on a gluten free diet shouldn't cause this type of reaction....if anything I'd expect that to make things better.....

Customer:

the red bumps are very localized.

Customer:

would you suggest any specific lab tests?

RickMD :

I think you are having some sort of generalized allergic problem. It may be impossible to figure out what is causing it but Rx medications should be able to clear things up.

Customer:

OK, what do you suggest?

RickMD :

Also a doctor might be able to get more information by touching and looking at these red spots -- something that is hard to do using chat :)

Customer:

OK, i understand, i have a physician but difficult to get in to see.

RickMD :

I suggest you start with seeing your primary care MD. Not is nurse practitioner or physicians assistant.....but the doctor himself.

Customer:

I saw him about a month ago, he did lab work that was normal.

RickMD :

I don't think that you need a trip to the ER....if you can't get in to your regular MD even an acute care clinic (doc in the box at the mall) would work

Customer:

OK, i will plan to do that.

RickMD :

Ok. That is good that the labs were normal. If no cause can be found then you might benefit from a short course of steroids or something like that.

RickMD :

Ok. I hope you feel better soon :)

Customer:

Thansk.

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

RickMD :

My pleasure. :)

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.