Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

a lot of mucus in throat

a lot of mucus in throat

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

what other symptoms are you having?

RickMD :

Are you coughing? Gagging? Problems breathing?

RickMD :

How long has this been going on for?

Customer:

soar throat sometimes sometimes pain in chest

RickMD :

How long has this been going on for?

Customer:

5 months

RickMD :

That is a long time.......and, as such, it deserves a good workup.

RickMD :

Have you seen a doctor or done anything about this yet?

Customer:

yes said thought was acid reflux pills work but does not stop mucus

RickMD :

Well, since this has been going on so long, I think it would be worthwhile for you to have a more extensive workup. Since your GP seems to think that part of your problem might be acid reflux, I think that best place for you to start would be to consult with a gastroenterologist.

RickMD :

There might even be some sort of irritation/lesion in your throat or esophagus that is causing your excessive mucus...a GI doctor would be able to easily diagnose this with endoscopy.

RickMD :

Also, if your have not done this already, it might be good for you to see your local dentist. Tooth/gum and mouth issues can sometimes cause excessive mucus production.

Customer:

ear nose throat dr he put scope in my nose and down my throat said everything good

RickMD :

OK. That is very good. But it still doesn't rule out something farther down your esophagus or near your stomach....or something that at DDS might find.

RickMD :

Since it is still going on, even with his recommended treatment (acid reflux pills) it seems like it is time to look for other causes.

RickMD :

What would you like to do?

Customer:

you tell me

RickMD :

Ok. I think you should set up an appointment with a dentist and an gastroenterologist for a complete workup. When you see the GI doctor you should bring copies of your medical records for her to review.

RickMD :

It is impossible to come up with a treatment for your long standing excessive mucus production without having a better idea of what the underlying cause is.

RickMD :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

yes any idea possible cause

RickMD :

It is very difficult to say, especially since I can not examine you or do any testing. That being said I would think that the excessive mucus production is being caused by irritation somewhere in your mouth, throat, esophagus or, maybe even your sinuses (although you did have an ENT MD check that out...) It might even be a problem/tumor of your salivary gland.

RickMD :

The only way to find out which one of these issues, or any other issue, it causing your mucus is with a full exam.

RickMD :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

Customer:

yes thank you very much

RickMD :

My pleasure. Have a good evening.

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS