Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Had spinal surgurey a month ago and bladder complications.

Had spinal surgurey a month ago and bladder complications. Trouble urinating followed by constant urinating every 10 to 20 minutes. Inreased to 2 hours and the to 4 hours, but after physical surgery returned to less than 2 hours. Wetting at night when a slepp and have to urininate every hour or two when awakke. Can retain during the day, but not when asleep.

Non medical person suggested taking magneseum.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning. I am online and available to help you.

I'm sorry to hear about all the difficulty you have been having since your surgery.

How long ago was your surgery?

Are you asking if taking magnesium will correct your problem?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Surgery was March 8. Magneseum was suggestion by non medical to control bladder problem. Wet pants 3 times last night. Can control bladder 3 to 4 hours during the day

Joel,

While many sources say that magnesium can be helpful in controlling bladder spasms, in your case I do not think that it will help.

Why? Because your situation is different. Your bladder issues are most likely secondary to nerve trauma or damage that occurred secondary to your spinal surgery and not due to intrinsic issues with muscular spasms in your bladder itself.

That being said, if you wanted to take, say 350mg of magnesium hydroxide twice a day for a week and see if you experienced any improvement in your bladder issues it probably wouldn't hurt anything.

Also, since I don't know your complete medical history, you should discuss your plans with your doctor just to be safe.

But. Don't get your hopes up. I don't think it will help :(

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was more concerned with surgical recovery as still have pain in calf and thigh when weight baring. Pain is same as pre surgery. Also, was interested in what can be done for bladder control & recovery. Magnesium was just a slight issue. Can you give me any other guidance or recommendations as so far you have not helped me.

Joel,

I'm sorry, your question seemed to be directed at magnesium....I missed the other issues. I'm sorry that you do not feel like I have help you up to this point. Please allow me to address these other issues for you...

In any event, you are still not that far out from your surgery. When it comes to nerves you can expect to see improvement for at least six months with some patients seeing improvement as far out as a year.

The best thing you can do for your bladder control issues is to work closely with your physical therapist and surgeon to combine rehab with possible medical therapy. This also applies to the pain in your calf and thigh....which is most likely due to nerve trauma during your surgery. As these damaged nerves heal these issues should get better.

So. What is the take home message? The best treatment for you now is a good dose of "tincture of time". Things will get better, albeit slower then you probably want. This is the nature of nerves when they are stressed or damaged.

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Pain started when walking from Bears Game on 12/6. Pain in calf. Epidural 12/31 without relief. Trigger point steroid injection in mid Janauary in the calf gave relier for a few weeks. Pain came back in calf adn thight. that led to surgery and bladder complications. Surgery was without pain and weight baring for one day and then pain back in calf & thight when weight baring.

What do you think of trigger points in calf and thigh to try to give healing ot the nerves? Also, what do you suggest that could help with bladder issues and wetting at night when sleeping?

thanks

Joel,

The fact that the steroid injection helped goes along with my initial impression that this due to nerve damage/swelling.

The steroids won't help speed up healing..only help with the symptoms.

I do not know that anything at this point will help with the bladder issues at night other then time for the nerves to heal. That being said, it probably wouldn't hurt to talk to a urologist about this.

Please mash the positive feedback button so I may be compensated for helping you. As I said above, I won't leave you in the lurch just because you push that button :)

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC