Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

I have a red/purple bruise that is about 1 1/2 to 2 inches

I have a red/purple bruise that is about 1 1/2 to 2 inches with hard white center in the middle. It appeared about 8 days ago. First the center was hard and tender, but now the white center is just hard. It's on my lower right leg; don't even remember bumping it or anything. I did take aspirin for 6 days, stopped about 3 days prior to the bruise.  Never had this happen before.

MD Doc :

Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

MD Doc :

It is likely that using the aspirin may have lead to the increased bruising, since it can act as a blood thinner,

MD Doc :

If the symptoms appear to be resolving, then this is just likely a normal bruise that is aggravated by the aspirin

MD Doc :

However if the symptoms are persisting, then a local infection./ inflammation needs to be ruled out by consulting a physician

MD Doc :

...

MD Doc :

I will be back in a couple of minutes, please be patient... if you have any more questions, please let me know

Customer:

I cannot tell if the bruise is healing or if it is persisting. Do garlic pills add to blood thinning?

MD Doc :

They can act as blood thinners too, yes

MD Doc :

I would recommend that you wait for another 3 days, stop the garlic pills, and if you see no visible improvement, go to a physician,

MD Doc :

how does that sound?

Customer:

Is there a risk of compartment syndrome?

MD Doc :

It would cause far more symptoms, so not likely,

Customer:

such as...

MD Doc :

Significant deep Pain, paralysis, paresthesia, decreased pulse,

MD Doc :

The symptoms are quite severe .... what you are describing certainly does not appear to be compartment syndrome

MD Doc :

Is there anything else that I can help you with ?

Customer:

ok, I will stop any garlic supps and aspirin. Is the white hard spot in the center normal?

MD Doc :

It could be an inflammatory reaction to the injury, only the next few days will make it clear if this is an exaggerated normal reaction or something else

Customer:

ok, thank you very much. I appreciate your expertise. I will relax a little.

MD Doc :

:)

MD Doc :

Take care, and give it a couple of days ...

MD Doc :

Hopefully things will settle down,

MD Doc :

Do leave a positive rating,

MD Doc :

regards