Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I had shingles on my head and in my left eye a year ago. I am still dealing with itching i

I had shingles on my head and in my left eye a year ago. I am still dealing with itching in and around the outside of my eye. I have two areas in my head that will not heal. I am seeing an eye dr and on meds. What can I do for the itching and the areas in my head that won't heal?
What medications have you tried and what medicine are you currently taking?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have replied twice but the status says its waiting on me.

I'm sorry - for some reason I didn't see your replies.... We may be having some technical problems with the site today....

Can you try again?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Acyclovir 800 mg 5 times a day, Pred Forte 5 ml, Ofloxacin Ophthalmic Solution 0.3%

Thank you:

These medications (as you may have discovered) generally are not going to offer much help for the pain and/or itching often seen with shingles. The pain/itching can continue long after the rash has clear - a condition known as post herpetic neuralgia.

There are a number of treatment options including Lyrica, Neurotin, Atarax and some of the older antidepressants.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have tried Neurotin and didn't see any real results. I will talk to my dr about these other suggestions. Thank you for your help.

Unfortunately, it often is a matter of trial and error. Since most of your symptoms are itching, use of Atarax may be a more appropriate next step.

Good luck.