Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Is there a way to "jumpstart" puberty in a late bloomer bo

Is there a way to "jumpstart" puberty in a late bloomer boy?

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

That depends on if he has any medical abnormalities going on.

RickMD :

There is nothing you can do at home to address this issue.....

RickMD :

The first step would be to have his pediatrician give him a complete going over.

RickMD :

If nothing is found, and you and the doctor are still concerned, then a consultation with a pediatric endocrinologist is the place to go for any possible needed treatment.

Customer:

No, He has no abnormalities. I do not want to use HGH as I don't feel it has been fully tested for long term sside effects. Anything elsi I can do?

RickMD :

Who suggested using HGH?

RickMD :

You could consider taking your son to a large university medical center.

RickMD :

At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

RickMD :

HGH will not get your son to start the complex metabolic process of puberty...

Customer:

Pediatrician says he will refer to endocrinologist if we want to pursue this course of treatment. My husband (6"1") has a history of late bloomers in his family. I feel my son will grow, but wondered if there was some way to encourage this to start. He plays sports and is the smalest on his team. He really wants to grow. Also, is weight training not recommended for his situation? His football team has started this

RickMD :

Weight training will not hurt him as long as he is supervised by a person (coach etc) who understands how to safely do this in pre-pubescent kids.

RickMD :

There is nothing you can feed him, no exercise or "therapy" that you can do at home to get the process of puberty to "start up"

RickMD :

From what you have posted it doesn't seem like the pediatrician is overly concerned. As a parent of 5 kids myself I wouldn't be worried at this point...but that is a call only you can make.

RickMD :

That being said, the only true, safe and effective way to approach this issue is with a pediatric endocrinologist consult....if that is what to do. Or you could just wait and see what happens. As you said, your husband (who is not too short :) has a family history of "late bloomers"

RickMD :

Does this make sense to you?

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer:

Did you receive my reply?

RickMD :

This is all I got: "No, He has no abnormalities. I do not want to use HGH as I don't feel it has been fully tested for long term sside effects. Anything elsi I can do?"

RickMD :

Oops...and this too: "Pediatrician says he will refer to endocrinologist if we want to pursue this course of treatment. My husband (6"1") has a history of late bloomers in his family. I feel my son will grow, but wondered if there was some way to encourage this to start. He plays sports and is the smalest on his team. He really wants to grow. Also, is weight training not recommended for his situation? His football team has started this"

RickMD :

did you send something else?

RickMD :

Are you still there?