Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Im having a sharp pain on my right side just above the waist

Customer Question

I'm having a sharp pain on my right side just above the waist and toward, but not in, my back. I have been diagnosed with a rather large hemangioma, I have had a number of bouts with kidney stones, and I have just completed two days of strenuous activity comprised mostly of walking on uneven and hilly terrain and inspecting a number of buildings (I'm a fire marshal). Our inspection encompassed a large correctional campus with a number of buildings spread out over many acres. After the first day of the inspection tour I began having some discomfort on my right side but by the end of the day today it was more of a sharp, stabbing pain. Because of my past experience I am assuming it's a large kidney stone but the hemangioma is in the back of my mind. It encompasses almost half of my liver and was found coincidentally when I had an ultrasound for kidney stones. I have had two biopsies and both came back negative for cancer. I have had no fever or nausea and except for the stabbing pain, especially when I cough or breath deeply, I feel good. Any thoughts?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.
I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

Have the lortabs helped at all?

Have you noticed any blood in your urine?

do you have any other medical problems or take any other medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have had no blood in my urine. It has been clear and light in color.

The Lortabs calm it down somewhat but do not completely remove the pain. They just make me indifferent to it. It feels like a catch of some kind. If I turn a certain way, take a deep breath or cough I have a sharp pain.

I take medication for my blood pressure and blood sugar. Both are borderline high. I take Metformin to control the blood sugar. My cholesterol is also borderline, so I take Crestor and Gemfibrozil for that. I'm overweight but have been successful over the past month on a weight loss program. I had heard that as the body breaks down the fat kidney stones could form. I would think this is a kidney stone except that when I have one it's usually more toward the back than the side.

I hope this helps.

Chuck,

This does not sound like a kidney stone trying to pass but rather irritation of the lining of your abdomen and/or your diaphragm.

With your history, it is possible that your hemangioma might be bleeding a bit.

The safest thing for you to do is give your MD a call and get in for an exam today....better safe then sorry when it comes to possible internal bleeding.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What would cause the hemangioma to bleed? I had a rather strenuous few days, but it was mostly walking all day. I didn't do anything that would injure it in any way. I don't recall if I said this or not, but the location of the "catch" is just above my waist on the right side about middle ways. The pain is not constant and unless I move a certain way or cough or breathe deeply I don't feel it.

These blood vessels can be fragile, especially if they are on the surface of your liver. Your blood pressure may have gone up with the exercise of the work you were doing, you may have moved or bent over or it may have just started bleeding on its own.

The pain you are feeling may be from irritation of the lining of your abdominal cavity from a small amount of blood...

Or it may be from nothing serious. Without an exam it is impossible to tell....

The safest thing to do, given your history, is to have it checked out. If it is just a muscle strain, virus etc, well then that is good. If it is a bleed it needs to be taken care of before it gets worse.

Does this make sense?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

One more thing...I can't believe that I forgot to mention it. I went to my doctor last week because I was having terrible watery diarrhea. He diagnosed the problem as a type of virus. I was on the BRAT (bananas, rice, apple sauce, toast) program for several days. When the virus was active, I had strenuous movements in which I strained without trying to. Everything has been clear since about Tuesday and I'm having normal bowel movements now but maybe that could have been when I pulled something in my side or caused the hemangioma to bleed, although that would have been somewhat of a delayed reaction. Do you think this is all related? I really appreciate your help.

yes. That could very well be it.

Or, hopefully, your current pain is related to the GI virus you had and you don't have any bleeding.

Once again, it is hard to know for sure without examining you. As a doctor I like to err on the side of caution. But, perhaps, you could take it easy and see how you feel in the morning.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me.
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Chuck,

I as just thinking about you today and wondering what your doctor found on Thursday. I hope you are doing OK and nothing serious is going on.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you in the future.

Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your concern! I had an ultrasound done, and as it turned out the problem was indirectly related to the G.I. virus I had. I ate almost nothing for the better part of a week, and that caused "sludge" to form in my gall bladder. It then became inflamed and that was the source of the pain. I am being referred to a surgeon for an evaluation to determine if surgery is indicated. No gall stones were spotted in the ultrasound, and my hemangioma has not changed. It showed no signs of distress. All other organs checked out fine. I appreciate your follow-up!

Chuck

Chuck,

Compared to having internal bleeding, sludge in your gallbladder is almost good news :)

I'm glad to hear that the cause has been found and you are on your way back to being 100% again.

Take care and let me know if there is anything else I can do for you in the future.

Dr. Rick MD FACS