Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

I began plugging and unplugging computer cable plug and was

Customer Question

I began plugging and unplugging computer cable plug and was afraid if power light green goes dark it would affect my heart beating because my heart was beating fast. Am I ok?
Category: Medical
Expert:  jbmd replied 1 year ago.

jbmd :

Hi--I'll help you with this, though I can't examine or treat you and replace local medical care. How long has your heart been beating fast? Did you get a shock when you plugged or unplugged?

jbmd :

If you didn't get a shock, the chance that this rapid heartbeat is due to the electrical current in the computer cable.

jbmd :

Unless you were one of the very rare 38 year olds with a pacemaker, and even then.

jbmd :

How fast is your heart going? (feel the pulse in your wrist if you can, with your index finger and count for a minute--that will give the rate)

jbmd :

I think this is unrelated to the cable but that doesn't mean everything's fine if your heart is going very fast especially for a long time or if the rhythm is irregular. You might ask what it would feel like if it were irregular: regular would be pat-pat-pat-pat-pat, irregular might be something like: pat pat-pat-pat pat pat-pat.

jbmd :

Were you thinking of something upsetting at the time? do you have any heart problem? does one run in your family?

jbmd :

I realize I wrote a lot but I try to give the person as much information and attention as possible

Customer: Hello I have an anxiety Ocd disorder
jbmd :

So many do that I assumed that was true. That makes your heart beat fast in a normal rhythm because of stress! The heart is designed to go faster with stress--so you can run away from lions and such. Or evil bosses.

jbmd :

What I want to determine is that you, for sure as much as possible, have a normal heart despite the OCD.

jbmd :

Which I bet you do.

jbmd :

If you didn't get a shock, the cable movement didn't affect your heart.

Customer: I had a stress test last December a calcium coronary study and elf and good cholesterol
jbmd :

And everything was fine, right?

jbmd :

So the problem is to find a way for you to set your mind at ease when you get a spell of anxiety and rapid heartbeat.

jbmd :

What I personally would suggest you ask your doctor for is a referral for bio- or neurofeedback to learn to control that body response to stress so it's not like you're on a Tilt-a-Whirl going faster and faster.

jbmd :

I prefer self-control to meds whenever possible (and it's not always possible.)

jbmd :

(Not self-control like usual but the ability to control the situation by yourself.)

jbmd :

Here's an article in the NYTimes about neurofeedback: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/05/health/05neurofeedback.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

jbmd :

I use that reference because it's not technical medical and it gives both sides of picture but the people I refer do very well.

jbmd :

Are you on meds for the OCD? Because some of those meds cause rapid heartrate.

Customer: I take remeron and abilify
Customer: And lisinopril 20 mg
jbmd :

Both remeron and abilify can cause rapid heart rate. Did you have this symptom before you started taking them?

jbmd :

Lisinopril doesn't usually but can.

jbmd :

Are these meds helping you?

jbmd :

In your personal opinion, of course.

jbmd :

and is your heart calmed down now and is it regular. Bet it is.

jbmd :

I imagine you are busy and working while this is going on--and my heart beats fast if something happens with the computer because I don't know what to do then

jbmd :

For a long time it said you were typing--did it get lost?

jbmd :

On the Abilify especially, I'm so glad your doctors were monitoring your heart with studies--did they have you wear a Holter monitor to see if you had spells of fast heartbeat?

Customer: My main concern is when heart beats fast from anxiety and I hyperfocuus on something like the light on the plug goes dark will that affect my heart function on any way?
jbmd :

Nope. Not if you didn't get a shock. The electricity didn't go near your heart.

Customer: So that is just false anxiety thinking on my part during the ocd movement?
jbmd :

I would bet that if it's linked to the computer. But if it came randomly, I'd want to have you wear a Holter monitor during work.

jbmd :

It would pick up funny rhythms and maybe set your mind at ease if the fast rate is always linked to worry about the computer.

jbmd :

It sounds to me that it is. You've linked up the computer and your heart and are having trouble separating them.

jbmd :

In your mind, that is, not in reality

jbmd :

That's common when something makes you anxious.

jbmd :

Are you still there?

Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.
I am online and happy to help you with your question today. I see that your expert has opted out and is no longer available to assist you.

I have read her response and your chat. What further questions/issues do you have that I can assist you with?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I have Ocd and on Sunday in shower began hyperfocusing on my feet my concern and worry is how to stop worrying if this caused a problem with how I normally walk or look at feet?
It sounds like you are having a serious episode of your OCD.

I strongly suggest you call you psychiatrist and get in to her today.

If that is not possible, in my professional opinion, you are suffering enough that you should get to the closest ER for evaluation and treatment. I would not recommend driving yourself -- get a friend to drive you or, if needed to be safe, call 911 for help.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am able to function normal its just the obsessive thoughts thinking something went wrong with hyperfocusing
I do not believe that you have a problem with your "focusing mechanism"

It sounds like, even though you are able to function normally in other respects, you need help with your OCD at this point.

As you know, left untreated, things can get worse in a hurry. Why risk it when you can get the medical care you need?

Does this make sense?

As someone who has asked 6 questions you know how to mash the positive feedback button without having to be reminded. And you also know I won't leave you after you do :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am getting a new cbt therapist within a week. So basically if there was no harm done by hyperfocusing on my feet then I should not worry anymore about that panic attack? So I am pretty much same as before? Thank you
I am glad to hear that you are going to be starting with a new CBT program next week. That should be very helpful.

You are correct. You should be fine and have no significant harm by hyper focusing on your feet as long as your panic attacks are not causing you problems doing the things you need to do safely.

I wish you the very best. Take care and have a good day.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am looking for some words of encouragement to stop the obsessing of wondering if I do not look down and up from my feet it will somehow hurt my body? I am calm and just looking for some scientific words of wisdom to knock out the this Ocd episode
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
You will not hurt your body.

You need to see you doctor. Please take this time to push the positive feedback button for all the time we have spent obsessing over your OCD.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know the hyperfocusing will not hurt me now however will turning your glance away from looking down at your feet affect anything either?
No. It won't.

Make sure to contact your psychiatrist on Monday for help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I start Cbt tomorrow. However my staring at feet this time from looking down sitting position then looking back straight up. This can't cause any harm either sorry to ask again?
No problem....

I'm glad you are going to start CBT tomorrow. I think you will find it very helpful

No. You will not cause any physical harm by looking down at your feet from a sitting position and then looking straight up. This will not hurt you at all.

Please feel free to mash the excellent feedback button for me :)

Let me know how things go with your CBT.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will rate you high for sure also when I feel like I am staring at feet like that for too long is it safe to break away view and look straight ahead and avoid my Ocd not to look down at feer?
Thank you since that is the only way I am compensated for helping you :)

Yes. That would safe :)
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Sorry to ask but will opening and closing door on microwave oven harm anything because my anxiety tells me when inside light goes off that will cause harm is that false thinking from anxiety again?
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 12 months ago.
That is correct....that is false thinking.

When the light goes off all it means is that there is no need to have a light on inside the microwave because no one is looking at it or using it anymore.

It would be wasteful to have the microwave light on all the time so it turns off when you close the door.

Nothing to worry about here....

This is, as you have noted, only your anxiety causing false thinking.

Does this make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the excellent feedback button for me.

I've available anytime you need me...just ask :)

Have a good weekend.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi Dr Rick this morning my heart was beating fast when I was lying in bed my heart was beating fast when I woke up then I kept turning my head to left to look at alarm clocks was this safe to turn head to left even though heart was beating fast could that be from anxiety or having to go to washroom?
Yes. You are perfectly safe to turn your head to look in any direction you want, even when your heart is beating fast.

If this were dangerous just think of all the dead Football players we would have laying around on the field...

I would think that what you are experiencing is from your anxiety acting up. Just going to the washroom would not be expected to raise your heart rate.

So. What is the take home message? You are OK and have nothing to worry about. :)

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Let me know if you have any other questions -- you know I'll be here for you.

Have a good weekend
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am having problem staring at phone on wall then looking away does this affect heart or US this just anxiety again ?
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 11 months ago.
Hi.

I'm sorry to hear about the problem you are having with the phone.

The good news? This will not affect your heart or hurt you in any way.

As you have already noted, this is just your anxiety acting up again.

Does this make sense to you?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
So looking away quickly is safe as well?
Yes. That is safe. You will not have any serious harm from this activity.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Dr Rick I am sorry still having trouble staring at phone any ideas to break constantly looking at phone on wall? Again if i force myself to look away the heart is safe?
First of all, yes, your heart is completely safe.

You can leave the room that has the phone on it, take the phone off the wall or cover it up. That should help.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you Dr Rick could I try to not even look at it also since I need it for work?
That would work. Try not to look at it or, if possible, put a towel over it so it is not visible when you are not on it....

Does this make sense?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS