Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

How successful is cardioversion in a person who has no medical

Customer Question

How successful is cardioversion in a person who has no medical issues ,53years old,and never taken any prescription medications.I am relatively active. and have no symptoms untill Started taking medications.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.
I am online and available to assist you today.

Have you tried medical conversion of your afib to sinus rhythm?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After our last snow storm in February I went to my doctor for my annual exam .
Before my visit I had gone to the gym having done weights and cardio.
My appointment was after my workout.
The technician did my ekg.THE first one was an error she then took a second one and it showed afib.
I never had afib before or have ever been on any medicine. I am otherwise healthy.All my past ekg are normal.
The end result of my annual exam was that they repeated the ekg 3 more times with a different technician and still found the same finding.
I followed up with a cardiologist and on the same visit before I even did any other testing ,he told me I would be a good candidate for introversion.The echocardiogram showed a otherwise healthy heart but he thought he saw the atria fibrillating.My blood work is normal.
So I was wondering if I have been always in good health could it be that the finding on my ekg is an artifact?Also once I have the introversion. and take the medicine for the recommended number of months and I stay in normal rhythm can it be possible to not have to continuetaking the metroprolol I am taking now?
Lucia,

Thank you for that extra information.

From what you have posted, the findings on your EKG are true. Also, the cardiologist would listen to your heart and feel your pulse which would confirm that you are, indeed, in Afib. I would very much doubt that the finding is in error.

Your doctor is correct. You are an excellent candidate for successful cardioversion. The less time you have been in Afib, the better your chances....and you have not had an abnormal heartbeat for very long at this point. I would say that you have a better then 90% chance of getting back into sinus rhythm.

It is impossible to say how long you will need to continue taking medication after the cardioversion. Everyone, however, takes some medication after the procedure to help the heart stay in sinus rhythm. Also you may need to be on blood thinners for a short time afterwords to help avoid clot formation.

Here is an excellent article on this topic from the Mayo Clinic that you may find interesting:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/atrial-fibrillation/DS00291/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your answers so far!

I JUST HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION.

What can cause this in a healthy person?

And can triggers like caffeine,stress overexertion,over exercising or a viral infection like the flu or epstein barr virus cause this?

That is an excellent question. There are many, many causes and in most cases the reason in not found.

But, you might have:

had a small, silent heart attack (unlikely given what you have posted)
high blood pressure
thyroid problems
abnormal heart valves
drugs, caffeine, tobacco
various virus infections
sleep apnea/low blood oxygen
stress from surgery or serious illness
lung diseases such as COPD
or it can be from no know issues (sounds like what is going on with you)

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would delaying the introversion by two more weeks have an effect on the results?
Thanks so far for your answers.
Lucia,

That is a very good question and the best person to answer that is your cardiologist who knows your particular situation in detail.

In general, though, the less time you spend in Afib, the more successful cardioversion is. As such, sooner is better then later. If you don't need to delay for a very important reason, I wouldn't.....

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your advice.
I actually went today and had it done.
I realized that after seeing three cardiologists and consulting with you,that since everyone was saying the same thing there was no point in rescheduling the procedure so I had it done today.
Thanks again.
I'm glad you went ahead with the cardioversion.

Can I assume that you are now in sinus rhythm?

Have a great day and let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you.
Lucia,

Also, you should have told me you were an expert on JA....I would have been happy to help you via PM at no charge :)

Rick