Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Recently I have started to pass urine that has a "ham" type

Recently I have started to pass urine that has a "ham" type of smell. I have been tested for UTI and etc by my doctor. Could this be a sign of Diabetes? I am overweight on the Birth control pills and Blood pressure meds as well.

what have you been eating lately?

how long has this been going on for?

Other then high BP do you have any other medical problems?

Do you have any other symptoms, such as pain on urination, discharge, etc or just the smell?

Does you urine smell this way all the time?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been eating my normal foods, no asparugus or anything like that

This has been for a little over a month now

I was going pretty frequent, but that has slowed down. No pain, no discharge, just the smell.

The smell is about twice a day.

I have had three UTI test by 3 different doctors and nothing. I took a home pregnancy test, Negative.

K,

There are many things that can cause your urine to have a strange smell, including an odor like ham.

The most common cause, bar none, is dehydration. To see if this is the cause, you should drink a lot of water for a few days and see if this helps.

Another cause is ketoacidosis. This is present in patients with diabetes and also in some other metabolic conditions....although this usually more of a fruity odor rather then ham like. That being said, problems with internal organs such your liver and intestines (methionine malabsorption) could be the cause. Rarely, a condition called PKU could be going on. These issues would have to be specifically tested for in order to make this diagnosis.

Vaginal issue such as a fistula between your colon and vagina, as well as a bacterial infection can affect the smell of your urine.

Also, many drugs, vitamins and foods (as we have already mentioned) can cause your urine to smell funny.

As you can see, getting to the bottom of this problem requires an extensive workup and evaluation. I suggest having your MD test for the above issues and consider doing another UA and culture, as well as a pelvic examination.

One other thought.....since you have been to three doctors locally without any results, it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief. It seems obvious to me that your current doctors have reached the bottom of their bag of tricks and, yet, you are still having these problems.

Perhaps it might be time for you to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much. I appreciate your detailed answer.

My MD has instructed me to drink more water and refrain from my vitamins to see if that makes a difference. I take the gummy vitamins, I doubt that is it.