Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

I recently decided to stop drinking after a vacation recently

I recently decided to stop drinking after a vacation recently with far too much alcohol consumed. I usually don't have any problems when stopping. I stopped 2 days ago and have been suffering from major insomnia, and when I do fall asleep, I have brief vivid nightmares, that I am able to immediately wake up from, but they prevent me from properly sleeping. As for symptoms of alcohol withdrawal, this is the only one I experience, no nausea or shakiness, tremors, migranes etc.

I take Cymbalta to help with my spinal pain, and Ativan to deal with anxiety when needed. Is it okay to take Imovane as well to help fall asleep?
How much alcohol were you drinking on a daily basis?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Roughly a bottle of wine for about 1 week.

Thank you:

With this amount of alcohol, serious alcohol withdrawal symptoms are unlikely. Insomnia is not uncommon however. I do believe that most physicians would advise against use of a sleeping pill in this situation since it may delay your body's natural return to a normal sleep pattern.

Also, when used in combination with your other medications, there is an increased risk of side effects such as dizziness, poor concentration and drowsiness.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Now that I think about it, it may have been more, than a bottle, it was open bar and I'm just kind of just estimating, could say one and a half to two raise concern?

I'm just rather worried the brief nightmares will continue, and that in itself is giving me anxiety. I'll stay away from the sleeping pill as well.

An increase in dreaming is seen when stopping alcohol. This will typically resolve within 5-7 days in most cases.