Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I have a close friend who has recently been diagnosed with

I have a close friend who has recently been diagnosed with stomach cancer...he went to a gastro bypass surgeon who promptly removed his stomach and attached his eusophagus to his small intestine to serve as a stomach. They sent him home without palative care and no feeding tube...he was told he needed to graze on food all day long but it is very painful for him to eat and he has gone from 160lbs to 120 in about a month. This particular doctor now wants to do another upper GI and see if he can have a feeding tube. What should we be doing at this point? I want to take him to a cancer facility that handles all avenues of this including mind and emotional. Please advise.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

Customer:

Thank you I am at my wits end and do not know what to do.

RickMD :

when was your friends surgery?

Customer:

2 months ago approximately

RickMD :

I agree with you -- it would be better if he was "tucked into" a comprehensive post operative treatment center that helps him, his family and loved ones, to know what is going on step by step

RickMD :

While weight loss is not unusual after a surgery like your friend has had, from what you have posted, it does seem like he could be made more of an active part of his recovery plan.

RickMD :

As you already mentioned, a large cancer center has just this sort of plan already in place....

RickMD :

What large city is your friend located in/near and how far could he travel for treatment?

Customer:

Yes I agree but my main concern and I have been constantly suggesting to get a feeding tube in him...shouldn't he have come home with one. He is so weak now he can hardly eat and all he is concerned about is his pain meds.

RickMD :

Many times a feeding tube is not placed at the time of the initial surgery so as to allow healing, especially if the patient can eat or get nutrition via other means such as IV

Customer:

We live in the Florida Keys and right now he is so weak it might not be in his best interest to travel very far. His surgeon is in Miami so he has gone there a couple times.

RickMD :

The University of Miami, Sylvester Cancer treatment center is one of the best in the world. If I was in his shoes, that is where I would gol

RickMD :

go.

RickMD :

Here is their webpage:

RickMD :

Ooops...

RickMD :

http://sylvester.org/

RickMD :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Thank you I will look into that...is there anything that I can do to get him to eat? Will I be able to talk with you in the future for further instruction?

RickMD :

With his small stomach size he will have to eat a little bit at a time. I would try high calorie foods that he likes, such as milk shakes, brownies, and other healthy foods of course....

RickMD :

Your question shows why having access to a nutrition expert is so important for your friend right now.

RickMD :

Yes. Even after you give me positive feedback for this conversation you can come back and request "DrRick" and I will be happy to help you again.

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer:

Will a cancer center take over the care since he already had the surgery and they are not starting from the beginning with him? I have never dealt with this before and am so concerned that we may not be getting him the best care.

RickMD :

Yes. They would be happy to take over his care. There is no reason for you to be concerned about that at all.

Customer:

Thank you you have been a great help.

RickMD :

My pleasure. Please give my best to your friend. Have a good evening.

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.