Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

CT scan finding: Focal calcifications along the gallbladder

CT scan finding: Focal calcifications along the gallbladder wall towardthe fundus. Sergen told that it can be a source of cancer and gallbladder has to be extracted. I do not have gallbladder pain. Has it be extracted?

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

Why was the CT scan done?

RickMD :

Do you have any medical problems or take any medication?

RickMD :

How long ago were these focal calcification's noted?

RickMD :

were there any other abnormal findings noted in the gallbladder during the CT scan?

RickMD :

I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

RickMD : I am online and happy to help you with your question today.
RickMD : Why was the CT scan done?
RickMD : Do you have any medical problems or take any medication?
RickMD : How long ago were these focal calcification's noted?
RickMD : were there any other abnormal findings noted in the gallbladder during the CT scan?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My physisian found something near gallbladder and sent for cat scan.

I am 75 and ofcause have several medical probltms and take about 10 medicines.

No any othe abnormals.

Please do nor rush me

There is no rush at all--- sorry about the chat system freezing up on us, but we can take our time here, using the Q&A format, and get all your concerns addressed.

The finding of calcium in the wall of a gallbladder (GB) has a strong association with cancer. This is especially true at your age. In the past calcium along the GB wall was thought to be associated with up to a 61% risk of cancer. Over the decade or so studies have shown that, while the risk is not quite that high, it is still significant.... perhaps in the 7 to 10% range.

The bad news? The incidence of cancer was highest in those patients who were noted to have selective mucosal (in the "meat" of the GB) calcification which -- from what you posted -- is the type you have.

So. What is the botXXXXX XXXXXne? In my opinion, I would not mess around. Get your GB removed as your surgeon suggests.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If gallbladder would be extracted what should I expect or can happen to me in the future

You should be just fine without your gallbladder. Millions of people doe it every day.

If you delay having it removed, your chances of dying from cancer significant.

In your place I would have my GB removed as soon as I possibly could.

There is no reason, in my mind, to risk dying from cancer just because you do not have any GB symptoms and want to hang on to it.

Cancer from the GB usually spreads to the liver first. When that happens you are in a lot of trouble.

Does this make sense to you?

Oops! Sorry about the typo's. I hit reply before fixing them :(

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.