Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Yesterday I woke up experiencing hypoesthesia contained to

Yesterday I woke up experiencing hypoesthesia contained to the right half of my scalp. I also had a horrible occasional stabbing pain in my right ear and a swollen lymph node under the right side of my jaw. I went to a CVS minute clinic and the doctor told me I had acute otitis media in my right ear. In order to clear mucus from behind my eardrum she told me to take Mucinex for a week. She also gave me an antibiotic, amoxicillin, and ear drops to alleviate pain. The very next morning I'm starting to experience the same odd sensation I'm calling hypoesthesia on the uppermost portion of the right side of my forehead. This portion may just be my imagination but I think my eyes feel dryer and a few times my right eye has throbbed. The sensation I experience when I place on my scalp is the most worrisome, I asked the doctor at CVS and she said she didn't know but thought it was unrelated to my ear. I find that hard to believe considering they started the same morning. I googled what could cause these symptoms and found that it could be a combination of allergies and diabetic neuropathy or Ramsay Hunt Syndrome. Of course I am not a doctor and can only speculate based on the limited material that I have read. I would like to hear some opinions on what it could be, why it could be whatever you speculate, what I should do next (which type of doctor I should consult), and if I should be terribly concerned.

Category: Medical
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am the moderator for this topic. I've been trying to find a Professional to assist you, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected, as the Professionals come online at varying times. I wonder whether you would like to continue waiting for an answer…hopefully it won’t take too much longer. Please let me know, and I will continue my search. If you’d prefer not to wait, please tell me, and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Camille - Moderator

Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning. I am online and available to assist you today. Thank you for your patience.
If you are not diabetic, I don't think you need to worry you have diabetic neuropathy. It could be shingles/RHS or allergies though....

In any event, it is clear that you need better medical care then what is available at the CVS pharmacy.

I suggest you get in to see a family practice MD or an internal medicine MD today for a complete exam. Since doctors offices are open today I do not think you need to go to ER.

To directly answer your question, I do not think you need to be terribly concerned but, that being said, it would be nice to have a better idea of what is going on.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Which specialist should I see for this? I would rather not go to my primary, he always sends me to a specialist for anything more than a cold. Also, what blood test are done to verify shingles or RHS?

I would see a neurologist or, if you have any visible skin lesions, a dermatologist.

Blood tests are not normally done for either of these conditions...it is a clinical diagnosis.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went to my primary and he made light of my symptoms. He said it might be referred pain cause by slightly high blood pressure. What do you think, could he be right?
I do not buy the slightly elevated BP theory....that does not make sense to me.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If a patient were to walk into your office and present the same symptoms I have, what would be your course of action. Please cite as many what-ifs as possible.

Without being able to physically examine you and conduct any necessary tests a laundry-list of possible "what-if's" would not be very useful.

I can tell you one thing though: I would not go back to the primary care MD who blew you off. I'd get in to see a new doctor, possibly a neurologist or, as we discussed above, a dermatologist if there are visible skin changes.

Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three faces, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate your help. I'm just not sure if I am able to find a worthwhile doctor in my area. I've gone to neurologist in my area and he had a prestigious degree, but no actual time to listen, or patience to explain his thoughts on my former issue. I almost feel discouraged from perusing this because it's so hard to adequately articulate the sensation I experience when touching my scalp. Also, there aren't any visible changes to my scalp. I have a history of swollen lymph nodes. I went to an ENT, Neurologist, and an Endocrinologist. After all three I walked away with lymphendaptohy and was discouraged from getting a full biopsy after a singular needle biopsy revealed nothing of significance. I don't have an unlimited supply of money or time to keep seeing specialists.

It sounds like you have been receiving good care from very qualified physicians without any significant lasting improvement in your condition. At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

I understand how money would be an issue...the good news? Most teaching hospitals offer discounted, or even free care.

I noticed that you have asked 4 questions and only given positive feedback on one of them. This mean that your experts have not been compensated for assisting you.

Please mash the positive feedback button.

I wish you the very best.
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I haven't always received sufficient answers while using this site. Given the limitations of virtual evaluations, I consider your input helpful. I will try to find a teaching hospital near me. I'm located near UCF, so that shouldn't be too hard. Any advice on how to contact them would be appreciated. I will now be give you positive feed back for your work. My prior experts did insufficient jobs to warrant paying.