Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

hi if a surgeon remove a bloodcot from your femoral artery

Customer Question

hi if a surgeon remove a bloodcot from your femoral artery and while doing a routine blood pressure test your on your arm causes you bleed out twice in 48 hours and had to do 2 emergency within 48 hours on separate occasion...is that negligence? Also, he admitted not using proper superficial vein to cover the repair artery in the first place..is that negligence by the surgeons?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am the moderator for this topic. I've been trying to find a Professional to assist you, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected, as the Professionals come online at varying times. I wonder whether you would like to continue waiting for an answer…hopefully it won’t take too much longer. Please let me know, and I will continue my search. If you’d prefer not to wait, please tell me, and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Camille - Moderator

Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning. I am online and available to assist you today. Thank you for your patience.
That is an excellent question.....and one that is very difficult to answer, even after a complete physical exam and review of your entire medical records.

How long ago did this occur?

Have you consulted with another surgeon in the same specialty for a second opinion?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

What do you mean by "causes you bleed out twice in 48 hours and had to do 2 emergency within 48 hours on separate occasion" just from taking a blood pressure measurement?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did a surgery to remove a bloodclot from my artery the surgery was successful but after a few months it return and was remove again...however, while recovering in the hospital the nurse was checking my blood pressure on my arm and the incision from my surgery rupture and was bleeding prefusely and I had to have four nurse pressing again my leg to slow down the bleeding and then rush to do an emergency surgery after doing the surgery within 36 hours another nurse was checking my blood pressure and my leg rupture again and bleed prefusely again and I had to rush into yet another emergenvy surgery. the doctor admitted he use a srong vein to repair my incision the ngligency?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

if a surgeon admit he must have not used a strong enough vein to cover my incision which cause my leg to rupture and bleed prefusely is that negligence? also, had a visitor at the hospital when my leg was bleeding prefusely and a hospital representation council her on what she had witness and told her not to say anything about what happen..is this acceptable behavior for an hospital?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

if a surgeon admit he must have not used a not strong enough vein to cover my incision which cause my leg to rupture and bleed profusely is that negligence? also, had a visitor at the hospital when my leg was bleeding profusely and a hospital representation council her on what she had witness and told her not to say anything about what happen..is this acceptable behavior for an hospital?

Thank you for that extra information. I'm sorry to hear about all the difficulty you have been experiencing since your surgery.

From what you have posted it is difficult to tell if the surgeon behaved in a negligent manor. It is also not clear why your leg bled so profusely one those two occasions. It is within the realm of possibilities that the nurses did something incorrectly. Also, more information is needed to know if the hospital representative acted in an acceptable way.

Unfortunately, the best way to get to the bottom of your medical issue is to obtain copies of your complete medical records and consult with an attorney. This attorney would then discuss your issue with you, perhaps review your records, and let you know if legal action is feasible. If you do proceed with a lawsuit, further documents would be obtained, another medical expert hired, depositions taken and possibly lead to a trial.

In my opinion, from what you have posted, I do not believe a lawsuit will get you the relief you seek.

Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three faces, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

why wouldnt it be a case of negligence if they use an inadequate procedure which caused me to bled out ..what if i was at home i could have bled to death without getting help fast enough

It is possible that there was negligence in your case but, from what you have posted, it is impossible to say for sure.

I am glad that you were in the hospital where immediate care was available when you started to bleed.

I hope you are doing much better now.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i will sure to give you a positive feed back whether or not you answer in my favor i just need an honest opinion. Is there any possible reason for the hospital to send a representative to someone who was there visiting me and witness what happen not to tell anyone about what happen?

No. I can't imagine why the hospital administration would send a representative to witness what your visitor saw. Also, it does not make sense that they would try to hide this fact.....they must be worried about something.

In my opinion your next step should be to obtain copies of your records and have another surgeon/expert review them.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have my medical records how could i go about finish a surgeon to review it?

I would ask friends, associates or your primary care MD for the names of a couple of surgeons. Another option is to call your County Medical Society for some names.

Then, call the doctors office and ask the MD would be willing to review your medical records. You would, of course, have to pay a small fee out of pocket.

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi i just spoke with one of the doctor who know about my surgery when i remove the bloodclot from my leg and while recovering a nurse was check my blood pressure and my artery rupture and bled out. His response was that the artery just tear apart from the stitches...is this a regular occurrence? is this negligence from an inadequate surgery?

I'm glad you had a chance to speak with a surgeon who is knowledgeable about your particular case.

From what you have posted I can say with confidence that you were not the victim or negligence.....just bad luck.

These things happen.

I am glad that you are recovering. As you said, if this would have happened away from the hospital things might have turned out much, much worse.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi i just met with an attorney and we went over my medical record and there were a couple discrepancies. First, the attorney said they did not give me all my medical records and in one of the record they wrote that i did a surgery on august 25 and was discharge September 1st and then discharge September 16th when for sure I was in the hospital for at least over 3 weeks. Also, how could be discharge September first and then discharge September 16th without being admitted in between September 1st and September 16th. What do you have of these discrepancies?

I would have to wonder why they did not give you all the records. I would go back and request all the records, making note of dates that are missing.

Is there two separate discharge summaries? If there is, then this is very fishy. If the problem is that there is just two different dates given, perhaps that is innocent dictation error.

It sounds like you are on the right track at this point.

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

its two separate discharge dates and I was still in the hospital...and in the report they just said I bled out they didnt said I bled from the blood pressure test being done on my arm...shouldnt they fully stated what happen and caused me to bled out?

That is very, very weird.

Yes. The clinical note should have given all the details. That is the whole point of a medical record, especially in todays world.

Let me know what you find out when you get the missing records.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

also, does nurses notes considered part of your medical record also?

Yes. They are. That being said, they are usually not that useful (at least from a doctors point of view) because they usually are long, boring documentation of routine daily events.

But, yes, they should give them to you.

You should also ask for a detailed, itemized bill and see what is listed. Could be some insightful things there....never know. Put this request in writing.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me.