Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I was on the drug Celexa for Anxiety, Depression and OCD for

I was on the drug Celexa for Anxiety, Depression and OCD for about 6 years. Last year my celexa was reduced as new medical guidelines came into place, I found at a lower dose it was not working aswell so I was changed onto Zoloft and Propranolol by my GP to see if I would benefit from a change in medication. When taking the 2 medications I experienced forgetfulness, hearing problems, dizziness and blurred Vison. I went to my doctor and they took me off the tablets completely. Whilst off the tablets I had what I describe as goose pimple type sensations in my brain which I told another doctor. At this stage I was given Mirtizipine to see if the symptoms would go away and then I tried Prozac but these didn't help. I went back onto Celexa and the goose pimple sensations went. I have been back on Celexa for at least 6 months but I am still experiencing forgetfulness and blurred vision at times as well as some mild hallucinations (seeing objects that are not there or mishearing what people say) and some tingling in right hand and foot. I also have heightened levels of anxiety due to worry that I will be like this permentently I have had a hearing test, an eyesight test and a neurological assessment and they have all come back fine. I am going to see a Psychiatrist in May to look at my medication. I am wondering whether the Propranolol or the Sertraline together can cause these issues as I have read some of the side effects of the medication. Are there any medications or natural remedies that can reverse these symptoms or coud it be something permenant? Thanks
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Answers are for informational purposes only. If I don't respond right away, be patient. I will get back to you ASAP.

Thanks for this question

Have you had an MRI of the brain?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had an MRI about 6 to7 years when I was seen by a Psychiatrist and it came back fine. I saw a Neurologist in February and she wrote in her notes that Neuroimaging would not show anything up, she suggested my GP refer me back to a Psychiatrist for a review of the medication. Hope this helps

I have tendency to disagree

I think you might have MS that didn't show up the first time

I think you need repeat imaging Adam

A positive rating from you is the only way I am credited for my work. Please don’t click “bad” or “poor” service as this leaves negative feedback for me. If you aren’t 100% satisfied or have follow-up questions, click “reply” instead.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi There,

Now that you mention it and looking again at symptoms of MS I do have a lot of them. The Neurologist did lots of tests and she said everything was fine from a neurological point of view. Could the Neurologist have missed something do you think? What would you suggest doing?

Thanks

Yes, she could have missed it or it simply needed time to evolve to identify it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What would you suggest I do now? If the symptoms are due to the Propranolol or Sertraline are there drugs that can help with the current symptoms I have?

I would recommend asking to get off one or both of the meds

talk to your doc ASAP
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi There,

I have been off both of the Meds for a long time, I am just on Celexa now which I tolerate much better, the only thing is I am still getting some of the side effects that I got when I was on Propranolol and Sertraline, the ones I mentioned in my initial message. Are there any medications that might help to reduce these side effects?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
New Expert
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’m the moderator for this topic. I noticed that you have opted out your Professional. If you are still waiting for an answer, I will try to find a new professional to assist you! Please keep in mind that sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected. All of our Professionals come on at varying times, so sometimes it’s a bit difficult to predict. Either way....If you would prefer not to wait, please feel free to let me know, and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you.

Camille

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi There,

I would like to wait for another professional to answer the question if that is ok.

Thanks

Thank you ….hopefully it won’t take too much longer for me to find the right Professional for you! Please don't respond to this as it may prevent the Professionals from accessing your question. You will receive an email when your professional has responded. If you want to cancel, please let me know, and I will do that for you. Thank you for your continued patience.

Camille

Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning. I am online and available to help you. I see that you have opted out your previous expert and relisted your question. Thank you for your patience.

I have reviewed your questions and previous response in detail.

Do you have any other medical problems or take any other medications/drugs then the ones you have listed?

Do you have any other symptoms?

Did you try going back to your original dose of celexa?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi There,

Thanks for your message.

I have Asperger's Syndrome and I take Citalopram for Anxiety, Stress and Depression which are some of the symptoms I experience through having th condition. For a long period of time I was on 60mg of Citalopram and that seemed to really help although I still inevitably experienced some stress and anxiety. I was reduced down to a lower dose due to medical guidelines that came into place regarding the safeness of the drug at 60mg. My dose was lowered and it wasn't very effective at the low dose so my GP suggested Sertraline and Propranolol. I was alright for a while but I experienced short term memory problems, dizziness, vision in my right eye going blurry, goose pimple brain sensations, hearing trouble. I was taken off both tablets with no replacement medication. I was off them for roughly 5 weeks before I needed togo back on something. I was tried on Mirtizepine and Prozac but they didn't really work. Whn going back on Citalopram my goosepimple sensations went away but I still had some of the other symptoms. I am currently down at 30mg Citalopram and I experience quite a bit of stress and anxiety at this dose. I have had hearing test, eye exam and neurological assessment and they have all come back fine. My Neurologist suggested a referral back to a Psychiatrist who I saw when I originally went onto Citalopram.The Neurologist thought it could be an inbalance of chemicals in my brain so suggested either my GP or Psychiatrist become involved. I saw my GP after the Neurologist apppointment and he didn't want to change my medication then, he wanted the Psychiatrists opinion first. I am seeing a Psychiatrist in about a month or so but I am finding things very tough, I am still experiencing some blurred vision in my right eye on occasions, I have some short term memory problems and sometimes see/imagine things that aren't there. I currently take Vitamin B as I have fatigue issues aswell. Are there any medications that might help or natural herbal medications that might help? Thanks

Thank you for that extra information.

First, let me say that I do not know of any medications or natural remedies that can reverse the issues you are having.

That being said, I feel that your workup has not been complete at this point.

I think it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief. It seems obvious to me that your current doctors have reached the bottom of their bag of tricks and, yet, you are still having these problems.

At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

If you could tell me what large city you live near and how far it would be possible for you to travel in seeking treatment I would be happy to give you some names. Of course, you could also ask friends and associates or check the internet yourself. Let me know what you would like to do.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi There,

Thanks for your reply. At the moment my symptoms are mainly feeling disorientated and depressed. Could a chemical imbalance caused by Propranolol, Sertraline or coming off an SSRI abruptly cause the disorientation?

Thanks

Yes. That is possible.

A complete workup by the doctors at a Teaching hospital will be able to rule in, or rule out,this possibility for you.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me.
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi There,

Just one more question could my symptoms be due to a lack of serotonin. I used to be on 60mg for a long time and then 40mg for a long time. My current dose is 30mg due to change in medical guidelines but I believe Doctors can still prescribe up to 40mg Citalopram. Would an extra 10mg make any difference do you think?

Thanks

That is an excellent question and, to tell the truth, I'm not sure. That being said, I don't think adding another 10 mg of citalopram would make a difference....