How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Family Physician Your Own Question
Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 12816
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Family Physician is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im overweight and have started trying to walk for exercise.

This answer was rated:

I'm overweight and have started trying to walk for exercise. I used to exercise all the time and never had this issue. I have started walking a trail (paved) at a college that is about .25 mile in length. At first, I was wearing all-terrain shoes and thought it might be that. I've sinced bought specific walking shoes and have the same issue.

The issue....when I'm walking (at a pace faster than every day walking, but not anything super fast), I get the most intense pain on the outside of my leg above the ankle about half way up my leg. It isn't in the calf on the back of the leg or anything like that. I thought it might be the shoes, but now think it might be that my leg muscles are too tight. It is so intense, I can't continue walking as tears stream out of my eyes. I also can't stand to be on my feet when the pain starts as I can't relieve the pain unless there is no weight on my feet. I'm not sure what it is and I'm concerned it might be a circulatory problem or something serious, but then I think it could just be I need to work up strenght and work out those muslces. I'm lost!
Thank you for your question:

Unfortunately, determining the cause of this over the internet is not possible. There are a number of possible causes including as you mentioned a circulation problem - although at your age this is not the most likely cause.

I typically advise anyone who is going to start an exercise program (particularly if they have any health problems including being overweight) to see their physician for a good physical. Your primary care physician would be the place to start.
Family Physician and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you