Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

im a gay man engaging in a sexual activity known as handballing

i'm a gay man engaging in a sexual activity known as handballing or more commonly fisting. i have 30 years experience and i've bleeding a bit more than i should be.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

How much bleeding are you having? Is the blood bright red? Any intestinal cramping?

RickMD :

How long has this bleeding been going on for?

RickMD :

I see that you are typing. I will standby

Customer:

it is red but it is not excessive. there isn't any intestinal cramping. we had stopped playing for at least an hour before we noticed there might be a concern. about 15 minutes apart we applied a paper towel to the anus and noticed one clot of blood with each application of the clean paper towel.and this has been going on for no more than half an hour. also it is possible that i may be dehydraded slightly and i was coughing from some mucus in my lungs.

Customer:

the play was not deep... but it was initally more aggressive than i'm used to. but fingernails were not an issue, no sharp objects. i suspect it might be a larger capillary and nothing more.

RickMD :

How does this amount of blood compare to the most blood you have experienced after fisting in the past?

RickMD :

This sounds like more then a capillary bleed. One of the issues is if it is arterial. If this is the case the bleeding may not stop on its own.

Customer:

it is more than i've ever experienced in myself. but there was nothing beyond ery slight pink during the play.

Customer:

there was no red during any of the breaks we took during play... and we took more than enough to know during the play if something was up.

RickMD :

Ok. Well, as a doctor I always like to err on the side of caution when it comes to bleeding in this area. As you know, the rectum and colon are very vascular and the colon can be easily damaged. Given your, and I would guess your partners, long experience damage is less likely.....

RickMD :

I would watch the bleeding. Put an ice pack on the area and, if the bleeding doesn't stop in another hour, if it gets worse, or if you have any symptoms (cramping, abdominal pain, dizziness ect) get medical care -- either with your MD or the ER if needed.

RickMD :

Does this make sense to you?

RickMD :

Also, if you defecate blood clots this would be suggestive of a bleed that needs intervention....

Customer:

that seems like a very responsible course. i'm not at all freaked out by the situation and i think you answered my quetions about how long we can responsibly wait before being concerned. we haven't tried the ice pack and the other symptoms we will watch out for. like you, we are erring on the side of cauation.

RickMD :

That sounds like an excellent plan.

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

RickMD :

Take care and let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Hi Lee,

I was just thinking about you today and wondering if your bleeding stopped OK by itself on Tuesday. I hope everything worked out OK.

Take care and have a good day.

Dr. Rick MD FACS