Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

Red band around stomach area, no pain, a little bit itchy.

Red band around stomach area, no pain, a little bit itchy. The band grows and shrinks during the day. Have used zinc oxide cream, calamine lotion, gives some relief but then the red band comes back. Only change in diet has been regular breakfast of minute oat porridge each day.
I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

Do you have any medical problems or take any medications?

How long has this been going on for?

Does it go all the way across your stomach area or does it stop in the middle?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This medical problem relates to my mom. She has severe Osteoarthritis. Had kidney disease brought on by perscription drug for sinuses, is now under control. Takes eprex twice per month, low dose blood pressure medication, hydromorpine (1mg tablet) 6 per day if needed and telylenol arthritis medication. The red band has been present for about 3 - 4 weeks. Do not think it is shingles. Band is very uniform right across the stomach area (under the skin flap) it is about 1 inch wide stretching across the front of the stomach. There are no blisters or sores. It has become itchy after the zinc oxide was applied. Hope this helps.

Red, irritated areas like you are describing that are located under a skin flap are usually secondary to a fungal or yeast infection of the skin. The problem is that these areas can have a secondary bacterial infection which, of course, would require prescription antibiotics to clear.

If there is no bacterial infection present you can use overthecounter miconazole to the area twice a day. In addition it is important for the area to be kept clean and dry. A drying solution, such as Burow's solution can be applied for 20 minutes/day to help with this.

If things don't start to show some improvement in 72 hours, or if it gets worse, your mom should see an MD for a complete evaluation.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS