Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

If i smoked 1 hit of pot on jan.6 would a pass a test on march

If i smoked 1 hit of pot on jan.6 would a pass a test on march 13

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

A standard urine test would be clean but, if they tested your hair it would show up.

RickMD :

When testing hair samples the common practice is to obtain enough hair to cover 90 days.

RickMD :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

RickMD :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

RickMD : I am online and happy to help you with your question today.
RickMD : A standard urine test would be clean but, if they tested your hair it would show up.
RickMD : When testing hair samples the common practice is to obtain enough hair to cover 90 days.
RickMD : Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Are you still there? Do you have any further questions?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Dr.Rick are you sure??? I gave myself a home test on Jan Jan26 and passed it.. just wondering if a test would detect it after march 12
Yes. I am sure :)

Trust me, I'm a Doctor lol!

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Im just really scared of the lab test results . It has been a total of 66 days since the last time i smmoked. And the lab test is more sensitive than the home test i took
there is no reason to be afraid of the lab test at work. As you have already noted a home test was negative.

Also, if you have not done pot for the past 66 days I am SURE your urine will come back negative.

To paraphrase Winston Churchill: You have noting to fear but fear itself.

From what you have posted, you will be OK.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me.

As a board certified medical review officer (MRO) - I would like to give a 2nd opinion:

The detection period for marijuana is much shorter than most internet references would seem to suggest. Even NORML - a strong opponent of drug testing references this fact on their website:
http://norml.org/news/2006/02/23/marijuana-detection-time-shorter-than-previously-assumed

Detection beyond 30 days is really rare. Here is a link to the actual paper published in Drug Court Review (the article starts on page 23 of the journal)
http://www.ndci.org/sites/default/files/ndci/DCRV5_1.pdf

Here is a reference from a laboratory that offers the "zero tolerance" testing with thresholds of 20 ng/ml for the screening and 5 ng/ml for confirmation. They advertise an expected detection period of "up to 10 days".
http://www.aegislabs.com/About_Aegis/Zero-Tolerance_Drug_Testing/Period_of_Detection_Table

Another excellent source is this article from the Mayo Clinic. You will see that the only cases were you may see detection as long as those reported on those websites is with heavy daily use.
http://download.journals.elsevierhealth.com/pdfs/journals/0025-6196/PIIS0025619611611208.pdf

Even hair testing would very likely be negative since hair testing is very insensitive to such low-level use.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
THANK YOU DR. RICK!!! I also workk out 4-5 days a week and take a GNC multivitamin...took the test Thursday and havve not heard anythiing yet...just nervous!
I'm glad that I could help

As you can see from these reference that I provided, there is no reason to be concerned.

I have been a MRO for over 10 years - and I see no reason to worry about your results at this time.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So 30 days is usually max no matter what?. I will review the articles...thanks a bunch
No Problem,

It has been a pleasure to help you.

Yes. As I stated, you have nothing to worry about and the references back up my opinion.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Yes - the often reported "30 days" really only applies to heavy daily use.

For a single use such as you describe, it is closer to 3-5 days. The detection period varies on the frequency and amount of use.
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience: Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years