Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

My son had all his teeth removed at 2 years old as the just

Customer Question

My son had all his teeth removed at 2 years old as the just decayed and crumbled, they werent sure if it was a calcium and eneamel issue. As it turns out he is lactol intolerant but it affects his mood we only found this out 2 months ago. He is now 6 years old had a check up at dentist 2 months ago all fine new teeth doing well and then a couple of weeks ago one of his back molars is a dark yellowy colour and one of his top front teeth has the same colour spot on it and he is haveing serious problems with the front tooth next to it coming through, really inflamed gum. He started on calcium and vitamin d supplements about 2 weeks ago and he has the lactol free milk and yogurts. Help please, he is back into dentist end of this week as that was the soonest they could get him in, but I am concerned if he has to have them removed as last time he nearly died un surgery, blood pressure dropped and they couldnt control the bleeding.

What could be the cause of this and how can help stop it happening.

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I am online and available to assist you today. Thank you for your patience.

Does your son have any medical problems?

Is he taking fluoride supplements?

Do you know if there is fluoride in the water he drinks?

Has your son been evaluated by a pediatric dental specialist?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No he does not have any medical conditions, he has his blood pressure checked yearly, but is fine. He is not taking any flouride supplements and the water we drink here is fresh from the mountains and is run through a uv filter and then a normal filter. When his teeth were originally crumbling away I had him into the normal dentist every month as they were so supposed to be referring him to dental hospital it took 6 months before anything was done about his teeth and that was only because I threatened to take further action for leaving my son in agony and unable to eat normal food. Once his teeth were removed they said his second teeth would be fine. He has been going for regular checks since his new teeth started coming through last year, this has come on suddenly the only thing that has changed is dairy in his diet but he is on substitue and supplements. His diet is exceptionally healthy, no sweets, junk foods of any kind, everything is fresh and homemade even bread and biscuits etc to limit salt and sugar intakes. He mainly drinks water, sometimes fresh juice diluted and eats 2 portions of fruit a day (banana and grapes). Brushes morning and evening and rinses.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Also my 2 other boys age 13 and 3 years old have no issues with their teeth, they both have perfect teeth and healthy gums. I never had any problems when I was younger but I had an enamel coating put over mine after a serious accident which smashed all of my front top and bottom teeth out just at the point my new ones were due to come through but that was it. their dad had perfect teeth never an issue no fillings ever.

Virginia,

Thank you for that extra information.

I am glad to hear that your son is going to the DDS this week. That being said, given his history of serious dental problems I would make sure that you go to a pediatric dentist.

Another option you might consider is consulting with a large University Dental Teaching hospital.

At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic Dental program in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

If you could tell me what large city you live near and how far it would be possible for you to travel in seeking treatment I would be happy to give you some names. Of course, you could also ask friends and associates or check the internet yourself. Let me know what you would like to do.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX am not from America, I live in Wales and here we do not have a specialist dental hospital, then nearest to me is 190 miles away and that is the one he went to originally. Thank you anyway. I shall just keep doing what I am with him and and look at getting his teeth coated to stop any further errosion from happening.

Regards

Virginia

Virgina,

That is the problem with the internet....it seems like you are just across the street when, in fact, you are a world away :(

I wish your son the very best. From what you have posted it sounds like you are doing everything that can be done. As a father of 5 myself I know exactly what you must be going through....

Take care.