Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience

Since I have been taking Brinerdin and Nifedin to lower my

Since I have been taking Brinerdin and Nifedin to lower my high blood pressure, my nose gets blocked very often. My Doctor prescribed a nasal spray that works for a few hours. However, the condition is so bad, I sometimes wake up at night.

Can you recommend an alternative medication for high blood pressure that does not cause so much nasal congestion please?
Nifedepin is known to cause rhinitis as a side effect,but a blocked nose may occur as a drug allergy from either drug.It would be prudent to discuss the matter with your PCP,as you may stop one drug at a time to check whether the blocked nose is a reaction to Nifedepin or the brinerdin.Use of ace inhibitors like Ramipril or Plendopril as antihyperetensive drug may avoid the problem of a blocked nose.