Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

12 day old newborn has had explosive diarrhea for 10 days.

12 day old newborn has had explosive diarrhea for 10 days. Can a Doctor prescribe meds to quell the diarrhea even though this breastfed baby is not dehydrated?

MD Doc :

Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

MD Doc :

If there is any sign of infection like fever, decreased feeding, blood in stools etc. then certainly a detailed work up & medicines including antibiotics may have a role to play in treating this newborn.

MD Doc :

On the other hand, we need to try to find the cause, and tests like a stool examination, stool ph & reducing substances and maybe blood work would be needed to try to find the cause,

MD Doc :

If formula is being used, then this may be the culprit, either directly or through infection due to lack of sterility related to bottle use,

MD Doc :

On the other hand, an exclusively breast fed child is less likely to get explosive diarrhea of sudden onset at day 12 of life, so further investigations will decide the line of treatment

MD Doc :

One thing is certain though, no OTC (over the counter) treatment is appropriate in this situation

MD Doc :

and the baby needs to be evaluated by the pediatrician ASAP if there is significant diarrhea, since dehydration / sepsis can occur very fast in this situation

MD Doc :

Is there anything else that I can help you with?

Customer: So, what you are saying is there does exist medicines that can be prescribed to quell or slow down explosive diarrhea in this newborn?
MD Doc :

There are medicines that may need to be used to stop diarrhea in a newborn, depending on the cause,

MD Doc :

however we cannot use medicines that slow down the stools directly or affect the GIT motility in newborns,

MD Doc :

So the answer is a qualified NO

Customer: The mother had vomiting and explosive diarrhea her 2nd day in the hospital. Once home, her 19 month contracted this "stomach flu" as did the mother's mother.
MD Doc :

Ok

Customer: Is this just something that must simply run its course no matter how long?
MD Doc :

If it is viral 'stomach flu' then yes that is the best option at this age,

Customer: It is very hard to see this young baby so much in distress with fevers and having his diaper changed over 20 times a day with nothing that can be done. :(
MD Doc :

:(

MD Doc :

I understand, unfortunately medications have the potential to make this worse

MD Doc :

at this age

MD Doc :

and hence avoided ...

MD Doc :

of course after reviewing with the pediatrician

Customer: Okay, thank you doctor. We can only hope it ends soon. Thank you for your time and advice.
MD Doc :

You are welcome,

MD Doc :

Do leave a positive feedback, since this is the only way that the experts are compensated for their time !

MD Doc :

Warm regards

Customer: A heck of a way for this little guy to enter this world.
MD Doc :

and all the best,

MD Doc :

I understand the concern, but hopefully this will be over within the next few days

Customer: And to you.
MD Doc :

Bye