Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

I have an aching stiff neck and upper left arm and the entire

I have an aching stiff neck and upper left arm and the entire area in between them for a week now. I woke up with the pain one morning with no reason why. No matter what pain medications I take the aches will not go away, they keep getting worse. I have been taking a conbination 2-350mg soma, 3-50 mg Ultrams and 4-200mg Motrins three times a day without any relief. I've had muscle strains and the meds always work. I even tried 2-10mg Oxycontins, with 4-200mg Motrins and still no relief (meds left over from previous issues). I can feel the meds, but the pain continues. The back of my left upper arm has red blotches but there doesn't appear to be any swelling.

I thought it was a strained muscle but because the meds, cold compresses and heat are not doing anything and so now I am concerned that I may have a blood clot or even menigitis. I had a level 2 lumbar spine fusion 14 months ago and so I know pain and what meds are capable of. This is something different and I would put the pain level at a 7-8 and growing.

I have a doctors appointment setup for March 26th but I don't think I should wait.

Please advise. Thanks,
Steve Sawyer
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

Steve,

I am sorry to hear that you are in so much pain and it has been going on for so long.

RickMD :

Are you able to touch your chin to your chest? Do you have any pain in your calves?

Customer:

I can touch my chin to my chest but it is painful. I do not have pain in my calves as far as I know (lots of meds).

RickMD :

Do you have any other symptoms? Problems thinking, moving your arms/legs etc?

Customer:

No. Just painfull spasms in the neck when I move it anyway.

RickMD :

Ok. Thank you for that extra information.

RickMD :

While I would not rush to say that your problem is due to a blood clot or meningitis it is concerning that you are having so much pain and that is doesn't respond to the pain meds you have tried.

RickMD :

I agree with you -- waiting until March 26 to be evaluated is too long to be in such continued pain.

RickMD :

I suggest that you call your MD and tell her that the pain is just too much and you would like to be seen ASAP.

RickMD :

Since today is Friday and doctors are not in their office on the weekend, you might even want to consider going to the ER.

RickMD :

While the ER probably won't be able to do a huge, indepth workup they would rule out anything of a active serious nature and be able to help you to get rid of the pain until you can be seen by your primary care MD

Customer:

I was considering going to an Urgent Care facility.

RickMD :

That would work as well. If they find that your pain is from something beyond what the Urgent Care place can treat, they will get you right in to a local ER....and a UC is much, much less expensive.

RickMD :

At either place you will be evaluated by an MD who can help with the terrible pain you have been putting up with for so long.

Customer:

Thank you so much for your time.

RickMD :

My pleasure. I hope you feel better soon.

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Hi Steve,

I was just thinking about you and wondering how you were feeling. Did you manage to get to the bottom of what was causing your pain on Friday?

I hope you are feeling better. Take care and have a good day.

Dr. Rick MD FACS