Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I have agoraphobia, my son is getting married next week, i

I have agoraphobia, my son is getting married next week, i will have to travel an hour away and stay calm all day and travel back, i have tried so many treatments over the years, NLP, TAPPING etc but not medication until a week ago, my GP gave me 5mg Valium, i took 5mg in the morning and another 5mg in the afternoon, then 10mg the next day in one hit, because i was going to try to drive to the church to see if i could, unfortunatley, i couldn't! my GP said i had to take it for a full week for it to work, is this true? will it work on the day if i did this? or would another med be better? my GP really seemed not to know what to do with me, could Xanax help me for the day? i really need help, CBT had no effect on me, maybe because i needed the extra help from medication, i just want something for that day, i can't spoil my son's big day! many thanks, Tracy.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.
I am online and available to help you today.

Unfortunately, with only one week to go before your Son's wedding, there is not a lot of time to come up with a treatment that would allow you to travel so far and function in such a crowded environment.

I can fully understand how stressful this would be for you.

You have already undergone many of the common treatments (CBT etc) and, as such, at this point, valium is a very good choice for helping you to get to the wedding.

Valium has a rapid onset of action, unlike drugs such as Prozac which require a few weeks to reach peak effectiveness.

Other drugs that might be helpful are Xanax and Klonopin but, once again with only 7 days until the wedding, there is not enough time to try a bunch of different drugs to find the "perfect" one.

At this point, I suggest you take the valium daily as directed by your GP. Also, get out of the house every day, a little bit farther each day, perhaps travel to a distant safe zone you have already established.

You probably already know this, but it may be helpful to have a trusted friend accompany you on these trips outside of your comfort zone as well as to the wedding.

Is there anything your son and your future daughter-in-law can do to help you get to the wedding knowing how difficult your history of agoraphobia makes it for you?

So. What is the take home message? Continue with the daily valium as your GP directed and use the next few days, and your friends and family, to help you get to the wedding on time.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Congratulations on the new addition to your family :-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, i did go to my GP over a year ago for help, and the CBT was the only thing she would do for me, there was never no mention of medication,and i really didn't know that there was tablets that could help me, i have paid for the rest of the treatments, but would the valium work better if i take it for a week beforehand? should i take 5mg morning and 5mg night? the GP said i could take 3 tablets on the day, could i take more? would lorazepam help better, i looked this up online and told my GP(who is a different doctor from a year ago) and he said he would put this on my records so i could try it next time, but i need the help now, could i take one 5mg valium and 1mg of lorazepam, i would like to try lorazepam, because valium does nothing for me! sorry to go on, but i really need answers from someone who understands my problem, many thanks, Tracy.

I'm sorry to hear that your GP doesn't have more to offer you. Perhaps you would get more treatment options if you consulted with a psychiatrist who deals with patients who have agoraphobia. That, however, is not going to help you with your immediate problem -- getting to your son's wedding.

Yes. If you take the valium starting a week before the wedding that should help. I would also suggest trying to get out every day, perhaps with the help of a friend to make it easier to get to the wedding. You can take 3 tablets over the course of the day as directed by your GP but I would avoid taking more then he recommends.

The valium and lorazapam are in the same class of drugs so taking them together is not really going to add any "new" effect. I would ask your GP about this, but in general while it won't hurt I'd not recommend taking them both together. However, if you think the lorazepam work better for you...and it vary well might, just tell your GP you would to take that instead of the valium.

I fully understand how difficult this must be for you but, with help and some medications to take the edge off I believe you can make it to your son's wedding :)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC