Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I have joint pain and tendinitis everywhere, hands, wrist,

I have joint pain and tendinitis everywhere, hands, fingers, thumbs,  wrist, elbows, jaw, neck, back, hips, knees, ankles, feet, and even in my eyes. About every four months my doctor gives me a round of prednisone, and I will get better for a few weeks and then slowly the pain will return. Over the last year I have begun to have problems breathing, not sure if this is connected   I've been told the steroids are not a long term answer, and I should seek advise from another doctor. I have been tested for RA and was negative... Don't know what to do, but this pain has been going on for a few years now, and getting worse all the time. Any ideas?

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I will switch to Q&A format. This format works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Well, it sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?

At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

If you could tell me what large city you live near and how far it would be possible for you to travel in seeking treatment I would be happy to give you some names. Of course, you could also ask friends and associates or check the internet yourself. Let me know what you would like to do.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I want to thank you for your time in this matter, just one more question before I go... I happened to work with many different types of organic solvents over a twenty year period, during which time I came into daily contact with solvents like methoxyethanol, ethoxyethanol, esters, ketones, such as... benzene, toluene, xylene, acetone, methyl ethyl ketone, methyl phthalate, methylcyclohexane, and many others. I used to get light headed from inhalation of fumes, and would get very sick too my stomach... Now I have terrible headaches, feel tired all the time, and as I stated before, have pain all over my body and in every joint. I have become unable to work at this point and can barely afford to go to the local doctor... so going to a big university for a study will be almost impossible for me to afford. Once again I thank you for your time in this matter.

Damon,

I'm sorry to hear about your extended exposure to compounds that we now know cause all sorts of nasty issues later in life. When I was in High School we took Hg, froze it into shapes like hammers etc and laughed when if melted and went all over.....

I hope things improve for you in the near future.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Have a good day.
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC