Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

I cannot stop scratching my skin.

I cannot stop scratch my skin. I don't know what is going on. I went to Walgreens and bought Sarna and Lubriderm, but it only works for a while.I have experience itching in every part of my body. Is this stress? What should I do?

Good Morning. I am online and available to assist you today. Thank you for your patience.

How long has this been going on for?

Does it seem to occur at any particular time of year?

Does you skin appear abnormal in the areas where it itches?

Do you have any medical problems or take any medication?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As far as my arms are concerned, it has been going on off and on for a couple of years. Lately, the itching has spread throughout my entire body. Back,legs,stomach. I think it is the most difficult experience in the winter mo.

Only in my arms does the skin fill up with red blotches then it goes away after 4 to 5 days.

I take Lorazepam 1 mg.for anxiety and for insomnia at nite. I take Fluoxetine for depression. 20mg

I also take Divigel .1% 0.5g gel for hormone replacement.

I have sev. situations currently in my life which cause me to experience stress.

I hope this gives you some insight into my problem.

Thank you for the extra information.

It is possible that what you are experiencing is eczema, although this usually has patches of dry skin associated with it. That being said, eczema is made worse by winter and by stress.

If you have not already done so, you and try using 1% hydrocortisone cream to the affected areas twice a day.

Dermatology problems are usually easily diagnosed with a physical exam that includes touching the lesions and, sometimes, examining tissue under the microscope -- all of which are hard to do via "chat" online ;-)

If the cream doesn't help, I would have a dermatologist take a look at the red blotches. If they are transient, you could take a picture to show the doctor during an office visit.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS