Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Hi There, Im very concerned about my health. Ive recently

Customer Question

Hi There,

I'm very concerned about my health. I've recently had a phyllodes tumour removed from my breast. It was benign but I will be going for more surgery to remove the surrounding tissue. There is also another growth on my other breast which was biopsied that the pathologist found to be benign and not showing any indication of phyllodes. In addition to this, I have, since November been diagnosed with alopecia areata. I have one large spot that is now starting to grow hair and 7 other smaller spots. All have been treated with steroid injections and some topical treatments (clobex and clobetasol). I suffer from severe anxiety and take, Cipralex-20mg, gabapentin-100-200mg (daily) and clonazapam 1-3mg (as required). In addition to this I've been suffering from insomnia and low blood pressure. My GP, dermatologist and oncologist all believe these conditions to be unrelated though I wonder whether there is some sort of correlation or further testing that might indicate some underlying condition. I have been tested for the likely autoimmune conditions such as thyroid conditions and diabetes and my bloodwork has come back normal. I should mention two other things: 1. I have a very strong history of cancer in my fathers side of the family (6 deaths caused by lung cancer, breast cancer, bone cancer-my father, brain cancer, and kidney cancer) 2. I've had a very stressful two years that included a separation, the sale of two properties, a heavy workload and am the single mother of a two and a half year old. I suppose my question is: should I be pushing for more intense testing to rule out the possibility of other autoimmune diseases or possibly cancer?

I appreciate your time.

Leanne
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

Leanne,

From your post, while I do not believe that you have cancer, you might very well benefit from a more "indepth" evaluation.

RickMD :

At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

RickMD :

I'm not sure where you are in Canada, but here in the USA the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

If you could tell me what large city you live near and how far it would be possible for you to travel in seeking treatment I would be happy to give you some names. Of course, you could also ask friends and associates or check the internet yourself. Let me know what you would like to do.

RickMD :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

RickMD : I am online and happy to help you with your question today.
RickMD : Leanne,

RickMD : At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.
RickMD : I'm not sure where you are in Canada, but here in the USA the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

RickMD : Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr. Rick,

I'm in Toronto, and there are several teaching hospitals and strangely they're all within walking distance of one another. Also, luckily I manage graduate funding at a university so I have many contacts I could ask for advice on which hospital they might think appropriate. The hospital where I'm being treated for my phyllodes tumour is a teaching hospital though they specialize in Cancer as far as I know. Princess Margaret hospital is its name. I have an appointment with the oncologist prior to my surgery and I think I will press him for his help.

Thank you for your advice.

Leanne

Leanne,

My pleasure. I wish you the very best.