Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
3452947

hello, i have fiberglass splinters in my hand, many of them

hello,

i have fiberglass splinters in my hand, many of them i cannot see. how can i get rid of them...thank you, jen

Welcome and thank you for your question.

How did you get these splinters in your head? When did it happen?

What symptoms do you have now?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr. Das,

I got the splinters in my hand pulling a broken pole out of the ground that I thought was made of wood but found out very quickly it wasn't. It happened around 6:45 this evening (EDT). Symptoms I'm having is a stinging sensation when I move my fingers or hand a certain way. The splinters that were visible I pulled out with tweezers.

Thank you for the added information.

To identify if you still have splinters in the hand and the stinging sensation is not just due to minor injuries from the pole, please apply a food coloring - larger pieces of splinters will stand out and you can then pull them out.

Once that is done take a bowl of hot water and put 2 tsf of Epsom salts in it - soak the hand for 10-20 minutes. This causes the splinters to fall off from the skin.

Run a fine stalking or sock over the hand to check if you still have any splinters.

very small ones may need to be removed medically.

Apply hydrocortisone ointment - a steroid available without a prescirption - to decrease any inflammation. Inflammation causes the splinters to stick on for a longer time.

If you continue to have the sensations after 3 days, please see a doctor.

I hope this helps.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. Leaving a Bonus will be highly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for your prompt response, I really appreciate it!

Have a great night,

Jen

Jen,

You are welcome.