Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
3452947

Hi, I have been a carpenter for fifteen years. Although when

Hi, I have been a carpenter for fifteen years. Although when I was young I ran chainsaw for a week all day everyday. My right elbow always feels weak and my forearm feels slightly strained. If I frame, or use heavy tools, shovel (basically use my arm hard) I develop complete loss of feeling in my fingers and eventually unbearable pain at night to the point where i have to sleep in a chair. Can you tell me what is wrong and what preventative treatments may be available

thank you, kiely

Welcome and thank you for your question.

Your symptoms suggest that the nerve to the elbow and arm could be pinched or compressed. This can occur anywhere in its path, especially near the joints - shoulder or elbow joint.

A common point of compression is at the spinal cord - a herniated spinal disc can put pressure on the nerve at the point where it leaves the spinal cord.

Please consult your doctor for an MRI of the back. you may also need a nerve velocity conduction test for the nerve.

I hope this helps.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. Leaving a Bonus will be highly appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, thank you for your advice. you do understand that my arm always feels weak in the elbow and strained in the forearm the other symptoms develop when i use it hard. I dont see how that could be in my back. I rarely feel pain there.

Kiely,

Yes, i realize that the symptoms are mainly in the elbow and forearm. But the nerve which supplies these muscles arise in the spinal cord and pass along the muscles and ligaments of teh shoulders, upper arm . Compression of the nerve can occur at any point - the spinal cord, the shoulders the upper arms or the elbow joint. Of these, compression at the spinal cord level is the commonest.

A nerve velocity conduction test will help pinpoint where you have the compression.

I hope this helps.