Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

what is the best way to diagnose mild brain injury if I have

what is the best way to diagnose mild brain injury if I have waited for almost three months? I knew something was wrong with my memory, reasoning, spelling, hearing, and ability to solve even minor problems. Now my behavior and personality is standing out as different and my boss has called me in and inquired. I was in an auto accident, high impact, closed head but a great deal of movement. I also lost consciousness for about 10 seconds and my limbs went numb or started tingling. My body froze and wouldn't move for about 2 hours. I honeslty just hoped I would heal quickly but now my employment is asking if I need a leave. They have found that I have made some minor mistakes yet now obvious. The only scan done was a quick 2 scan, c-scan at the hospital. No mri was done of the head. I went to one neurologist and he brushed me off and wouldn't order any tests or scans? He said they had done a cervical mri which was fine. Help. I'm afraid of losing my job or not getting the right tests in case of long term leave is needed. H
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.
Mild brain injury, or post concussive problems, can be difficult to diagnose as it has a wide and variable symptomatology.

Treatment is different from person to person but often involves medications (usually for pain), psychotherapy and, sometimes, neurotherapy.

The good news? The prognosis for a full recovery is excellent.

Since you have not been getting much attention from your current doctors you might want to consider being evaluated at a large University Medical Center. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

If you could tell me what large city you live near and how far it would be possible for you to travel in seeking treatment I would be happy to give you some names. Of course, you could also ask friends and associates or check the internet yourself. Let me know what you would like to do.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

wonderful. I live in Spartanburg, South Carolina. Do you recommend or know of any hospitals you suggest? I am willing to drive a 3 hour range in whatever direction. I think atlanta, GA is 3 hours, Charlotte, NC is 1.5 hours, Charleston, SC is 3 hours, Raleigh Durham, NC is about 3.5 hours, Athens, GA is about 2 hours, etc. I would also be willing to participate in any clinical/ experimental programs.

It is nice to hear I can make a full recovery. I was scared I was going to have to ask for a long-term permanent leave from work.

Thank you so very much.

Heather

Heather,

Emery University Hospital in Atlanta is a Top Notch place to get treatment. Here is their webpage:

http://www.emoryhealthcare.org/emory-university-hospital-midtown-atlanta/index.html

I hope you feel better soon :-)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick,

Thank you so very much. Your response is perfect and exactly what I needed. I hope with future questions, I have the honor of having you again. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!~

My pleasure. I hope you feel better soon :)

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD