Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
3452947

Hi, I am not sure which expert to ask about this since there

Hi, I am not sure which expert to ask about this since there are no ENT's on this site. Is there anyone here that can answer a question about laryngeal papilloma?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Das, MD replied 1 year ago.

I am a Diploma in ENT.

Please go ahead and ask your question. What would you like to ask about Laryngeal Papilloma?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would like to post a photo of something I actually coughed up. I took it to a doctor's office and the doctor quickly concluded it was mucus. In my opinion, there is no way this is mucus. To me it looks like a piece of raw chicken. Here is the pictures

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

To give some more information, for the last 3 months I have had lots of phlegm in my throat and kept telling my husband that it feels like there is something in my throat that I can't cough up, like a solid object. This past Saturday, I coughed up what was in the photo. Now the feeling of something being stuck in my throat is gone.

Doesn't this look like a laryngeal papilloma?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please if you can, zoom in on the photo and you will also see towards the bottom of the photo, another little object that looks like maybe a branch that came up from my throat after the main pink object.

Lana,

This is not mucus. It looks like tissue but i doubt that this is tissue which is broken away from a growth in the throat like laryngeal papilloma. That would have caused considerable bleeding.

This tissue is more likely to be a food particle, probably even a chicken piece that you ate and which lodged in throat. Possibly irritation from this lodged tissue is what caused you to cough in the first place.

Please ask your ENT for a direct laryngoscopy - a direct visualization of the throat. This would help confirm that you do not have a papilloma.

I hope this helps.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. Leaving a Bonus will be highly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There was some bleeding but after the initial object came out of my throat, there was no bleeding. Afterwards, I kept expecting to cough up blood but very little blood came up and I was surprised.

Is it really possible to have chicken stuck in your throat for 3 months?

Last question please, the tissue looks pink and "healthy". I am terrified this is some kind of cancer, is this likely cancer?

If there was no bleeding after the object came out, then it is not cancer. cancerous tissues are usually very friable and bleed easily. This tissue does not look cancerous.

Food stuff especially hard food stuff can remain stuck in the folds of the mucus membrane of the esophagus for quite some time if they are quite small and are lodged deep inside the folds. Once it becomes lodged, it can get fixed by mucus secreted by the throat. I suspect that this is what happened in your case.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your answer. Well there was blood on the piece of tissue that came out and then I gargled with water and spit the water out. The spit out water had a slight pink color in it but after the second gargle with water, I did not see anymore pink. In my mind this is considered minimal bleeding.

Lastly, if this were a papilloma, are papilloma usually benign ? I'm very paranoid about cancer as I had CML (leukemia) 18 years ago so in my mind I have already convinced myself this is some type of cancer.

yes, this is minimal blood, not the type of bleeding present when a cancerous tissue breaks off.

Most papillomas are benign. But some can turn cancerous - only a microscopic test can be confirmatory.

It is very unlikely that you have a cancerous growth - your symptoms are not suggestive of cancer at all.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thank you for your help. May I add one last thing. You said friable which I think means it can easily be broken into several pieces?

The object I coughed up would not come apart. I played with it using two toothpicks and it would not separate.

Also, I took it to a doctor's office (the doctor who said it was mucus) and after they put it in a plastic specimen cup, the object stuck to the side of the plastic container and would not move. I tried to shake the plastic cup and know it off and it was completely stuck. I was surprised that it could hold on so tightly to the inside of a plastic cup. That tells me there's something really sticky in the tissue.

By the way, have you ever seen a patient cough anything up like this?

Yes, cancerous tissue is very friable - your tissue was not. So it is very unlikely to be cancerous.

The tissue will stick to the plastic if it is somewhat raw or has a mucus component to it. Sometimes, wt tissue sticks to dry surface areas due to surface tension.

Yes, I have seen patients cough up old food lodged in the throat or esophagus. they had no problem later on although the food did cause coughing and mucus production while it was still lodged.

I hope this helps.

Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

You are welcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I may ask a follow up question. I went to an ENT that did a flexible larynoscopy. He said he saw no growths. This was about 5 days after I coughed up the tissue. The ENT said he saw one small area that was not as homogenous as the rest of the area. He said the area looked a little red, like an area that was newly healed.

I'm happy that he found nothing else in my throat but I was wondering, is it possible this coughed up tissue had come from my lungs? If so, would something in the lung for 4 months produce a feeling of something stuck in the throat when trying to cough out phlegm from the throat? My chest X-ray was normal but I'm still very worried about cancer because it has been 9 business days and I still have not gotten pathology report back on the coughed up tissue. I took it to physicians immediate med and they send it to an outside facility for pathology. Could it really take this long for results or does this mean something bad that it's taking so long?

Think you again.
Lana,

Welcome back.

I doubt that the coughed up tissue was from the lungs. More probably, it was sticking on to the reddish area in the throat. If it had been in the lungs, you would not have had the feeling of something sticking in the throat.

Yes, it can take a long time for the reports from a tissue biopsy to come back - the duration depends on the number of cases they have. A bad report is not help back and delayed.

You can always call them up and ask when you will get the report.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I received my pathology report. I'd like to quickly type what it says

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Diagnosis:

Designated "Mucous plug, produced by cough".

Consistent with squamous papilloma.

Comments:

The specimen consists of a papillary lesion covered by benign squamous epithelium. Clinical correlation is required for the specimen anatomic location.

Gross description: Mucous plug, irregular, round 7 x 5 mm, bisected (PGM, SB7, ag2)

Procedure: Other

Clinical history: Produced by cough

Specimen list: mucous plug

Lana,

You did have a small tumor which was benign, not malignant. Since it caused irritation in the throat, it was covered by mucus secreted by the throat tissues.

Papillomas are small tumors with a stalk. This is very delicate and can get broken off - which is what happened in your case when you coughed and left the reddish area.

Since the biopsy says it is benign, you have no more cause for concern.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are these things common?

Are they caused by HPV?

Yes, these are common and no they are not caused by HPV.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Last couple questions, so if these are common, it's common to cough them out from the throat?

Is there anything else I should do? Like an annual follow up with an ENT or every 6 months with a full endoscopy or like a flexible laryngoscopy?

These can sometimes get torn off at the stalk and fall out.

Yes, you need another checkup after 6 months but not an annual checkup. A single follow up checkup with a laryngoscope is all that is required.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you and do these benign growths lead to possible actual other cancerous tumors of the throat. that's my last question, I promise.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello?

No, these do not become cancerous.
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Das,

Ok, I know I sound a paranoid with this next question. Please understand I had CML (leukemia) at age 19 and had a bone marrow transplant so cancer is of great concern to me. May I ask this please.

Comments on pathology report:

The above comment, does this mean that just the surface of the papillary lesion was covered by benign cells or don't they take cut through sections and look at the entire mass to determine if there are any malignant cells throughout (like below the surface of the benign cells)? Just checking, the wording of the comments left me a little unsure.

Thanks.

The entire specimen is checked for malignancy, not just the surface. The tissue is cut into fine sections and then examined.
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor