Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,30 years of experience

Hi there, My issue will actually take quite a while to explain,

Hi there,

My issue will actually take quite a while to explain, but I'll try to keep things brief and quickly summarize what's been going on for me. I suffer from severe health anxiety and about 1.5 to 2 years ago went to see a doctor for a stomachache. He ran a bunch of blood tests, one of which was an ANA test, which came back positive, but with the lowest possible positive reading (i.e. "low titer"). He told me not to worry about it, but I thought this was irresponsible advice (why would one ignore an abnormal test result?), and I followed up with a rheumatologist. Auto-immune diseases run in my family (mom has Hashimoto's and aunt has Raynaud's), but since I didn't have any other symptoms, she just ran the test again. And it came back with the same result. So she told me to come back in six months for another follow up test. Which I did. Still positive, low titer. So then after another six months I went back for a third test, and the results were negative. This last normal test was a few months ago in October 2012.

But now on to what's concerning me. In late November 2012, I got a bad cold, which I didn't think much of - it seemed like it was just a standard cold, that lasted for about a week with no complications, and it cleared up on its own. But then I got sick again in early January - same thing: a cold that lasted about a week. I thought it was a little strange to get sick again so quickly, but figured it was no big deal. But then last week I got yet another cold, followed by a stomach ache; the cold lasted for about a week, and the stomachache followed directly afterward and lasted about two days.

Which brings me to now. I'm now more or less recovered from the last cold and stomachache, but am terrified I have some kind of autoimmune disorder causing me to get sick so much, especially because one of my friends, who has an autoimmune disorder, told me that hers started with a string of colds/flus back when she was in college. My rheumatologist told me to remain vigilant for symptoms like sores in my mouth, aching joints, etc. And I think that I have noticed a few rough spots in my mouth, but they clear up within 24 hours or so, and I'm not sure if that could be related to the virus I had that caused the cold. Other than that, I don't have aching joints or a rash or anything.

I'm not sure if you can help me or not. Like I said, I suffer from pretty debilitating health anxiety, so it can sometimes be hard for me to tell which symptoms are really worth worrying about, which ones are manufactured, and which ones are actually not that bad but seem worse in my mind. So I suppose I'm just wondering if you can provide some words of reassurance or advice, since I can see myself going down a spiral of fear and anxiety tonight, and I'm trying to nip it in the bud WITHOUT googling symptoms of lupus or some other autoimmune disease. Does getting a lot of colds in such a short period lead you to think that I should maybe get the ANA test re-done? I mean, I just had it done in mid-October of last year, so just a few months ago I had a negative blood test, which I guess is a good sign. But I suppose things can change at any time. And I'm a college professor, meaning that I'm in frequent contact with students, who often seem to be sicker than the general population. I'm trying to be rational with myself and focus on all the signs that point to me just getting unlucky and catching a string of colds. All my friends have told me this has been the worst season for colds/flu they've been through in recent memory. On the other hand, I keep dwelling on the frequency of my illnesses and how I've NEVER gotten sick like this in my life. Basically I'm terrified right now and am really hoping you might have some reassurance or advice for me.

Thank you so much in advance.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.

A positive ANA would run in the family especially since you have relatives with autoimmune disorders.A positive ANA may occur normally and need not translate into connective tissue disease.The fact that you have first degree relative with Raynaud's Disease means you need to be extra vigilant for symptoms of connective tissue disease(your Rheumatologist told you as much).Recurrent colds may occur due to encountering newer virus strains against which he body has no resistance,or there may be a element of allergic naso-rhinitis.Stomach ache may occur secondary to a viral infection like following a cold..The aspect of reduced immunity for you due to connective tissue trait,or other causes of reduced immunity like Thyroid disease or Diabetes needs to be examined.Environmental allergy or allergen induced rhinitis due to common allergens like dust mites,mold and animal dander also needs to be investigated and excluded.Increased stress levels also affect the immune system.Frequent washing of hands,avoiding contact or keeping a distance from people affected by colds may help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that response. I did not realize that, as you wrote, stomach ache may occur secondary to a viral infection like following a cold. Can you explain why that is the case? How does a virus that causes a cold cause a stomachache, too?

You also wrote: "The aspect of reduced immunity for you due to connective tissue trait,or other causes of reduced immunity like Thyroid disease or Diabetes needs to be examined." Do you think I should go back to see the rheumatologist due to the many colds I have had in the past few months? I am so scared. I feel like there is no other explanation for all these colds other than an autoimmune disease.

Last: do you know, at least anecdotally, if this winter season has indeed been worse than usual for viruses?

Thank you again.

Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.
Yes,this winter has seen more viral infections of the upper respiratory tract than normal.
The viraemia causes a reaction in the lymphoid tissues/lymph nodes which leads to pain.Since there are a fairly large number of lymph nodes in the mesentery of the intestines and the abdomen,pain abdomen is often seen associated with viraemia which may affect the GI tract.
It appears that you also have acute anxiety,anxiety is also associated with symptoms of pain abdomen and nausea.If the symptoms persist or are present in the future,especially with none of your friend's having colds while you have them,it would help being reviewed by your Rheumatologist.
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,DTM&H,30 years of experience