Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.

Hi I work in childcare with toddlers and am 39 year old female.

Hi I work in childcare with toddlers and am 39 year old female. Last week had the sore throat virus that is going around, then was hit with head cold virus on the Friday of last week which I've had over the weekend. This morning I wake up get up out bed move some baskets around the room (i.e. bent over moved them, and put them down) then went to open my bedroom door to be greeted by this weird head spin - not really dizzy sensation just room spinning and legs collapsing under me - whole thing lasted about 3-5 seconds. I heard there is a dizzy bug going around - should I be concerned?

Welcome and thank you for the question.

The vertigo ( the spinning sensation) you experiences was due to the virus and head cold that you are suffering from.

The head cold can cause complete or partial blockage of the Eustachian tube - a tube connecting the ear with the throat. This blockage can cause changes in the air pressure of the middle ear. Since the middle ear helps maintain the balance of the body, any movements such as bending over or lifting weights can cause further disturbance in the air pressure. This can cause the spinning sensation.

Using nasal decongestants to open up the tube or anti-inflammatories like Ibuprofen can help minimize this sensation.

I hope this helps.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. Leaving a Bonus will be highly appreciated.