Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
3452947

Is it possible for a male to have Herpes Simplex 1 on his genitals

Is it possible for a male to have Herpes Simplex 1 on his genitals and then pass HSV-1 to a female partners genitals?

Welcome and thank you for your question.

It is very uncommon to have HSV 1 in the genital region but it can occur. And yes, it can be passed on to a female partner's genitals.

The incidence of HSV 1 in the genital region is about 10-20% of genital herpes infections.

I hope this helps.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. Leaving a Bonus will be highly appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just tested positive for HSV-1 on my genitals. I hadn't been sexually active in 3 months and within a week I have a new partner and had a horrible outbreak.

If he had it already with his genitals, not cold sore...how would he pass it to me without an open sore?

Nik,

It is not necessary to have an open sore to pass on herpes, although the infection does spread more easily when there is a sore.

It is also possible that the friction from the sex has caused the flare up to be worse than it would have been.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If by chance I find out he does have HSV-1 in cold sore form and passed it to me through oral sex, could he get an out break on his genitals from me?

Also, if he used his saliva for lubrication, could I have contracted it that way or does his lips have to touch my vagina?

Yes, if he passed on HSV1 to you through oral sex, then he could have a outbreak of HSV1 in his genitals picked up from you.

And yes, you can pick up HSV 1 from saliva - his lips does not necessarily have to touch your vagina.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So basically HSV-1 on the genitals starts from saliva/oral contact from a carrier...so if he is the carrier, performs oral sex on me and within days I have an outbreak and we have sex on an outbreak, he could outbreak on his penis too?

Yes, that sequence of events is quite possible.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is it possible he wouldn't have an outbreak after having sex with me on an outbreak?

That is also possible. An outbreak does not always occur after sex with someone who is having an active outbreak.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

And I can't eliminate him as a possible carrier unless he tests negative for HSV-1?

And I won't know how long I've had it?

Yes, you cannot eliminate him as a possible carrier unless he tests negative for HSV-1. And you cannot know how long you have had it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Same goes on his end, if he's positive he wouldn't know how long he's had it and there's a possibility his past partners wouldn't get it from him? It isn't 100% that ever partner you have can get infected by a carrier?

Yes, the same on his side. And it isn't 100% that every partner you have can get infected .