Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
3452947

iam in engaged to my girlfriend and we are getting married

iam in engaged to my girlfriend and we are getting married soon but then found out that her blood genotype is AC while im AS genotype, im aware theres possibility for SC child, which is what we're preventing because ive read sc genotype are more or less like Ss, ive heard about checking a baby's genotype within 3 months of prenancy. please give your advice on this issue. thanks.

Welcome ann thank you for your question.

You and your girlfriend have a one in four chance of having a SS or SC baby.

You can get your baby tested in early pregnancy by Amniocentesis or Chorionic Villus Sampling (CVS). While CVS can be done as early as 6-8 weeks pregnancy, amniocentesis can be done at around 16-18 weeks.

After birth, the baby's blood or Buccal swab samples ( swab from the inside of the cheek can easily be checked for the genotype.

You can go for any of these tests and plan accordingly.

I hope this helps.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. Leaving a Bonus will be highly appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i would like to hear more about having a SC genotype, are they thesame with SS genotype. is it possible to change the Genotype of a baby after being born or before born? if there is a plan to have 3 kids? what are the chances of having Sc genotype out of the 3 kids. thanks

first i would like to know what the amniocenesis and CVS is then if we get the baby tested in early pregnancy by amniocenesis or chronic villus sampling, does that mean we can detect the genotype of the baby within 6-8weeks of the pregnancy? if the baby happens to be an SS what is your recommendation?

Avni,

Sc and SS are different subtypes of the same genotype.

SS is full blown sickle cell disease while SC is somewhat milder - This condition is associated with recurrent anaemia (breakdown of red cells in the blood vessels) and pain crises (vaso-occlusive crises).

You cannot change the genotype either before or after a baby is born - it is fixed at the time of fertilization when the sperm and the ova meet.

The chances of having a Sc genotype is about 25%. It is the same whether you have one or three children.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks alot but i have more questions.

i would like to know what the amniocentesis and CVS is also if we get the baby tested in early pregnancy by amniocentesis or chronic villus sampling, does that mean we can detect the genotype of the baby within 6-8weeks of the pregnancy?

our plan is that we get married and we do the genotype test for the baby within 6-8weeks of the pregnancy, if the baby happens to be Sc, we can go for an abortion and maybe plan toward another preg. do you think that is fair?

Avni,

Both of these are diagnostic tests by which you can know the genotype of the baby. You can detect the genotype within 6-8 weeks by CVS and within 16-18 weeks by amniocentesis.

Yes, you can do that and I think that is quite fair. Many parents do go in for an abortion if the baby has an abnormality - it is your own decision and you should take whatever decision you are comfortable with.

I hope this helps.