Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I have diabetes. I was prescribed the medicine Metformin.

I have diabetes. I was prescribed the medicine Metformin. My first day of taking the medicine, I only took one tablet. The second day, I took two, like I was recommended. My eye sight became blurry. NO MY EYE SIGHT WAS FINE BEFORE THE MEDICINE--I KNOW DIABETES CAUSES POOR VISION, THAT IS NOT MY QUESITON!!I took the medicine for about a week, no change in my vision. During this same week, I was prescribed Adderall. I started taking about 20mg to 30 Mg per day. My vision was the same with the Adderall and Metformin.This week, I stopped taking the Metformin-- I will try to control my diabetes with exercise and diet. Today my GI was 143-- not bad for me. Anyway, I took continued with the 30mg of Adderall and I also noticed, that my new diet vitamins--just started two days ago- has Ephedra in it 25mg.My question is this: The diabetes med by itself made my vision blurry. I have scince stopped taking it. No improvement in my vision. Will it clear up on its own? Is the Adderal and Ephedra causing my vision to blurred too? I am worried. I need my eyes!!!I like the Adderall and Ephedra because I am now execising and sticking to a diet-- good for my diabetes, but I WANT TO BE ABLE TO SEE.This all started about 2 weeks ago with the Metformin. Any advice... other than go see an eye doctor?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question.
Blurry vision with metformin is very uncommon.
Even if it is experienced by some individuals, this should be temporary.
This should have improved by now.
Ephedra is not known to cause blurry vision.
However, Adderall has been reported to cause blurry vision in some individuals.
Hence, your persistence of blurry vision can be related to the adderall since you are still taking it.
Ofcourse, an eye examination is necessary to rule out other causes.
But if there is no identifiable causes, then you may also need to discontinue adderall to improve your vision.
Best wishes,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok... I have been reading online many people who are saying that they got blurry vision from Metformin...usually when they took 2 tablets, just like me. This is why I am asking a Dr. My PC is useless, she just keep saying that diabetes causes bad vision....not hearing me when i say MY VISION WAS FINE BEFORE I STARTED TAKING THIS MED!My eyesight has not improved by stopping the Metformin. It has been 2 days now. I am getting very worried. The meds started it. So it did something..apparently to other people online too.Should the blurriness from the Metformin have cleared up by now--two days--now that I am not taking it anymore? Do you think?Or could the Adderall be the reason why my vision has not improved after stopping the Metformin (since you said Ephedra has no bearing)?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Good concerns.
If this is metofrmin related, then your vision should improve within a week.
2 days is too early.
Since the blurry vision is not listed in the manufacturer's website, this is an uncommon side effect.
And this is not serious, otherwise, FDA would have added it as black box warning.
Metformin is around for many years--hence the safety information is well established.
You should get your eyes checked and wait for a week.
If still no improvement, and no eye problem, then adderall is the likely culprit.
Best wishes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only took the Metformin for a week. The 2nd day I had blurred vision. This was before the Adderall. I just want to be clear--unlike my eye sight- I should wait a week for vision improvemnt from the Metformin...EVEN THOUGH I ONLY TOOK IT FOR A WEEK? If there is no improvement, then the blurred vision is being continue by the Adderall?It will be a while before I can get an eye exam, so I will have to just experiment myself. I guess if there is no improvement in a week, and I stopped the Adderall, would I give my eye sight another week for improvement? Is a week about the duration it takes for a drug to leave the system, even if taken for a short period of time?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Yes correct.
Even though you took the metformin for a week, the effect of the drug takes some time to subside usually a week.
Since you are taking adderall for longer duration, if this is adderall related, it may take longer than a week for the vision to improve.
However, if this is adderall related, you will see significant improvement after discontinuing adderall (which will confirm that this is adderall related).
Please do not stop adderall abruptly without discussing with your doctor to avoid withdrawal symptoms.
Adderall is best tapered off.
But first you should wait for a week to see if this is really metformin related.
Best wishes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. I really don't want to stop the Adderall. It is helping me lose weight and stick to things that I normally wouldn't. Think has got to be good for my diabetes. I do, however, need to see.You also said Ephedra has no effect, correct? Is it ok to take the Adderall and Ephedra at the same time? My friend said that it is not a good idea because both are a stimulant. The vitamin with the Ephedra has a lot of good stuff in it though and I just spent a lot of money on it. So if it is not hurting anything, can I continue with the Ephedra vitamin? Also, these vitamins are multiple capsules...will it hurt my liver to take many vitamins? I was told it is ok as long as the dosage for each vitamin isn't excessive.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Ephedra and adderall are not a good combination.
They both can cause high blood pressure, high blood sugar and heart damage.
Hence, it is better to avoid this combination.
Best wishes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does the many vitamins hurt my liver?
Expert:  Family Physician replied 1 year ago.
I would have to respectfully ***** ***** the other expert:t is VERY common for diabetic to report problems with their vision when they first start medication. The lens of your eye changes shape as you suddenly drop your blood sugar with the medication. IT can take up to 6 weeks for this to return to normal as the sugar level in the lens SLOWLY comes down to the same level as in your blood.I caution new diabetics to avoid getting new glasses for 4-6 weeks after controlling their blood sugar to avoid wasting money on glasses that will very quickly be useless as the lenses are changing over time (Trying to hit a moving target)Here is a medical article on this topichttp://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=504458
t is VERY common for diabetic to report problems with their vision when they first start medication. The lens of your eye changes shape as you suddenly drop your blood sugar with the medication. IT can take up to 6 weeks for this to return to normal as the sugar level in the lens SLOWLY comes down to the same level as in your blood.
I caution new diabetics to avoid getting new glasses for 4-6 weeks after controlling their blood sugar to avoid wasting money on glasses that will very quickly be useless as the lenses are changing over time (Trying to hit a moving target)
Here is a medical article on this topic
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=504458
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh boy...I wish my PC told me that! Well, I stopped taking the medicine. My blood sugar stayed pretty much the same for the 2 days I wasn't taking it, but that might be because it was in my system. Rats, so now I don't know what to do... I threw the bottle away. Do I try the med again? Ask her to try it again?
Honestly, this blurry vision can occur initially with any medication when used to reduce blood sugar. It is caused by the reduction of the blood sugar relative to the level of sugar in the lens of the eye.
Unfortunately, sometimes physicians don't think to warn patients about this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No... I am afraid, that physicians aren't even aware of this, I know my Dr wasn't. Apparently, there are many other people online asking about blurred vision and Metformin who have Dr that don't know this either. Thank You for your help. So if my blood sugar stays the same, should I stay off the med?If it goes back up, I will go back on the med, understanding now, that the blurred visioin will be expected at least for 6 weeks. Yes?
Honestly, it would be very unethical for me to give you specific medical advice. You should not self-stop medication without discussing this with your personal physician. Going without treatment for the blood sugar elevation (even minor elevation) places you at increased risk of a number of serious medical conditions long-term.
If you are not happy with your present physician, you should make an appointment with another physician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok... tks again, but my Dr already knows that I stopped this med because of my vision. hence, my comment about many Dr.s not knowing what you told me about the blood sugar and the eyes.I am not too worried about my GI at 143 or 153...it still has come down a lot. She originally wanted me to try to control it with diet and exercise-- which I am now doing miraculously thanks to the Adderall.If it continues to go down, I will stay off the med. If it goes back up, I will go back on it, not fearing the blurred vision anymore. Does this sound like a plan? I mean...In your opinion, is 143 or 153 something you would see if the person can controll without medication?
Honestly, I am rather aggressive at treating diabetes. Fasting blood sugars should be in the 70-110 range.
Your doctor can review your treatment plan in light of your overall health, other medical conditions etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wow..that's low, maybe I should consider taking the medication again. I will call her tomorrow. It won't hurt with Adderall or Ephedra, will it? Although the other Dr said to not take the Ephedra vitamins with the Adderall. Is that correct?
Ephedra can theoretically reduce the effectiveness of metformin, so your doctor needs to be aware of your use of ephedra.
I agree with the other physician that ephedra should not generally be used in combination with Adderall.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. I guess I'll stop the Ephedra, too bad, there were so many other vitamins in this vita paks. Is taking too many vitamins, as long as there in the recommended dosage ok for your liver? I would like to know, maybe this Vita pak wasn't good for other reasons, too.In addition, and I promise, the last question: My GI dropped about 100 pt with the Metformin, but I had already started to work out and eat right. It has pretty much stayed at 143- 153. If I get back on this med, and continue to take it, will my GI drop even lower? I mean the longer I take it will it have more benefits?
With continued use, your glucose would hopefully remain low, which would be reflected in a lower hemoglobin A1C (a measure of average blood sugar). Lower A1c readings has been associated with a decreased risk of diabetic complications.
Weight loss and exercise can help lower your sugar over time, so some patients who make significant lifestyle changes can eventually reduce their diabetic medication dose WITH PHYSICIAN SUPERVISION.
Multivitamins taken in moderation (not in mega-doses) are generally considered safe, but for most people are actually not necessary in cases where they are following a balanced healthy diet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tks.. I appreciate your help. Now that I know what is going on with my eyes, I will get back on the meds without thinking I'm going to go blind. You're a very knowledgeable Dr. I give you the highest rating. Have a good night!
I'm glad I could help you.
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience: Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years