Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

had my thyroid gland removed (totally)8 Feb 2013, and now I

had my thyroid gland removed (totally)8 Feb 2013, and now I have a golf ball size knot where my adams apple is, little swollen, should I contact my doctor or should I just wait for my appointment at the end of the month? yes I'm taken calcium and liothyronine

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

Are you having any difficulty breathing or swallowing?

RickMD :

How long has the bump been there? Is it getting larger?

RickMD :

Is it painful or tender to the touch?

RickMD :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

RickMD : I am online and happy to help you with your question today.
RickMD : Are you having any difficulty breathing or swallowing?
RickMD : How long has the bump been there? Is it getting larger?
RickMD : Is it painful or tender to the touch?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes it is tender to touch and have it for about 4 days and
it looks like its getting bigger

I would give your doctor a call. This is not normal and needs to be evaluated.

Of course, the safest thing with your history and a large lump like this is to go to the ER for an immediate evaluation.

But, since you can see the mass and you know how you are feeling, it might be OK to wait until Monday morning to see your doctor...since she knows you better then anyone else does. I'd not wait much longer then that though....

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS