Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

I have white bumps near my anus.

I have 3, white bumps near my anus. One of them has been there for as long as I can remember, but the other 2 are new (or at least I've never noticed them before). Thoughts on what they might be? I am seeing my doctor on Wednesday but would love to go in educated.

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
How large are the bumps?
Are they firm? Mobile? soft? Painful?
Any blood noticed in your stool or on your TP?
Do you have any medical problems or take any medication?
Do you engage in anal sex?

JACUSTOMER-y5qn361r- :
They are small - about the size of pimples. It feels a bit harder than the other skin in that area but not so hard that I can feel them without touching them. No medical probs or medication.

No blood noticed although I am colorblind so that would easily go unnoticed.

No on anal sex.

They don't hurt. Itch a bit if I've been poking at them.

I suspect I will learn they are hemorroids, but am worried about herpes.

Dr. Rick :
From what you have posted it sounds like they could be an area of folliculitis

These are, for lack of a better way of saying it, infected hair roots near your anus.

JACUSTOMER-y5qn361r- :
Are there ways to rule out herpes just so I sleep between now and my appt? What makes you think it's that and not herpes?

Dr. Rick :
Many times you can treat them by warm water baths, cleaning well with soap and hot water, sometimes a topical antibiotic and, if possible "poping" them

From what you have posted and how you described them I do not think it is herpes.

Anal warts, however, is a possibility. These can show up in anal sex needed :(

Could also be small, hard hemorrhoids if they are right in your anus area.

JACUSTOMER-y5qn361r- :
My girlfriend is suffering from a yeast infection (self diagnosed) which got me googling, which of course got me nervous, which got me revisiting what I thought was one bump but found 3.

Dr. Rick :
Another thought is that they are just skin tags......

The good news? A quick check by your MD will be able to tell you for sure.

Ahhhhh.....Yes. I understand now. Mr. Google can be very, very scary :)

Glad you came to Just Answer :)

You won't catch her yeast infection.

JACUSTOMER-y5qn361r- :
yes that the plan for Wednesday. Just curious what about my description makes it not likely to be herpes.

Dr. Rick :
I very, very much doubt it is herpes.

JACUSTOMER-y5qn361r- :
Okay, but I'd love to rest a bit easier - why?

Dr. Rick :
Why is it not herpes?

Herpes usually has pain associated with an outbreak. You would be uncomfortable. The lesions last about 10 days, they weep, and then crust over. They form open sores

Without anal sex, why would you have a herpes infection by your anus?

Nothing you have said is consistent with you having Don't worry.

JACUSTOMER-y5qn361r- :
I don't know - from everything I have read (damn you, google) if you have it outbreaks can occur in a variety of places.

These have definitely never crusted over - cant imagine I would not notice that.

Dr. Rick :
They occur along the nerve tracks, usually where the infection occurred in the past or for the first time........once again, in your case, why would herpes be on your anus?

See. No crusting. No worry.

Some time you can get too much information.

I, truly, do not think what you are seeing around your anus is herpes.

JACUSTOMER-y5qn361r- :

Dr. Rick :
You do not sound convinced.......

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

JACUSTOMER-y5qn361r- :
Ha - guess I won't be convinced until someone looks at them and gives me an answer. Either way would like to deal with them if I can. All questions answered (unless there is anything else you think I should understand/think about). Thank you.

Dr. Rick :
You are right. At this point, I think you can rest easy, but once a MD looks at them and touches them, you can't know for 110% sure....but at least now you are going to the appointment armed with as much information as possible.

I hope this information was helpful for you.