Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

My Father is taking Namenda twice a day but continues to have

My Father is taking Namenda twice a day but continues to have two or three glasses of wine at night against the advice of his doctor. Is the drug able to be affective at all?

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

Yes. A couple of glasses of wine per day will not keep the Namenda from working.

RickMD :

The reason doctors tell patients on Namenda not to use alcohol is that the two compounds together can cause increased sedation and a feeling of drowsiness.

RickMD :

Also, alcohol, especially in excess (which two or three glasses of wine really isn't) acts as a depressant and can cover up any evidence that the namenda is working

RickMD :

So, at this point I do not think it is worth getting into a battle with you Dad about his habit of drinking a bit of wine....at least not as far as the namenda is concerned.

RickMD :

I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

RickMD :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer:

I am wondering if the Namenda can work effectively if he continues to drink a couple to three glasses of wine every evening. He is strong physically, golfs once a week. He is often confused and does have short term memory loss. He has become more critical, has poor sleep and gets disoriented often. Will ask the same question repeatedly until he is satisfied and then the next day will have no recollection. Was diagnosed with Moderate dementia three years ago. I live with him now. Got our answer just now, thanks a lot Dr. Rick. I will quit worrying about the wine.

Customer:

Thank you so much for your response. I will quit worrying about the wine. Have a great day.

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

RickMD : I am online and happy to help you with your question today.
RickMD : Yes. A couple of glasses of wine per day will not keep the Namenda from working.
RickMD : The reason doctors tell patients on Namenda not to use alcohol is that the two compounds together can cause increased sedation and a feeling of drowsiness.
RickMD : Also, alcohol, especially in excess (which two or three glasses of wine really isn't) acts as a depressant and can cover up any evidence that the namenda is working
RickMD : So, at this point I do not think it is worth getting into a battle with you Dad about his habit of drinking a bit of wine....at least not as far as the namenda is concerned.
RickMD :
RickMD : Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Please accept my apologies for the technical problems we have experienced with the chat system today.
I just got your post too....sorry about the chat system messing up :(

Give my best to your Dad.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.