Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

Hi Me and my ex girlfriend split up about 5 months ago.

Hi

Me and my ex girlfriend split up about 5 months ago. We have a daughter together who's 2 years old. The split up has been very stressful and upsetting for everyone. My ex also has had bad depression for the last 8 years.

In the last 2 months she has been losing her hair and getting little blister like spots on her scalp, neck and forehead. She keeps saying it feels like something is living inside her scalp and burns and itches all the time. She's says there are little bugs in her hair but when I look through her hair there is nothing visable apart from the red spots. She is also complaining of memory loss and a buzzing in one ear.

I just don't know what to do, her hair has gone from shoulder length to very short like a mans hair cut. I am very worried about her and didn't know if it could be a mental issue or there is something living in her hair.

Please help
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

From what you have posted I do not believe that the problem is something living in her hair.

RickMD :

That being said, I do believe that she needs a complete evaluation by a MD and possibly some blood work.

RickMD :

Hi. Welcome to chat. I was just working on your question. Are you available to chat?

Customer: Yes, fire away
RickMD :

At this point I think the best thing you can do for the mother of your daughter is to get her in to see a doctor. It is much more likely that her hair loss and other issues are related to her mental health and/or a medical issue then something (like a bug etc) that has infested her body/head.

RickMD :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer: Yes I understand, what could be the course of her blister like spots?
RickMD :

That could be from her pinching her skin, pulling the hair or doing other things.

RickMD :

It could also be from some type of allergy, immune problem, skin issue.....hard to tell without having a look at it.

Customer: Yes she's always pulling her hair and will not stop touching it. She's complaining of extreme pain and stinging on her scalp
RickMD :

But, the good news? A doctor, when taking her history and examining her should be able to figure out what is going on pretty quickly.

RickMD :

She might be suffering from something called trichotillomania

Customer: Ok I will have a look at that, do you think it's most probably a mental breakdown and its the stress that's causing her spots etc
RickMD :

Using "online chat" as my only diagnostic tool, it is impossible for me to say for sure. But, from what you have posted, it sure needs to be considered. She really would benefit from a complete exam by a doctor who keeps this in mind as possibly the cause of her hair problems.

RickMD :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

Customer: Yes that's great thank you
RickMD :

My pleasure. Please give my best to your Daughters Mother :)

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Brendon,

I was just thinking about your girlfriend and wondering how she was doing. Has she been able to see a MD yet?

I hope she is getting the care she needs.

Have a good day.

Dr. Rick MD FACS