Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience

Anal pain during bowel movement. Can IBS cause it? Hemorrhoid

Anal pain during bowel movement. Can IBS cause it? Hemorrhoid maybe? I was told years ago that I had both. Pain subsided after movement but I am afraid that it might reoccur. It felt like tearing pain. How to treat it? FYI, no lumps, external hemorrhoid detected.

DrK99 :

Hello, this is Dr K99. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a Dr/patient relationship. Please consult your Dr for medical advice.

DrK99 :

Welcome to JA. Anal pain during a BM is not caused by IBS but may be caused by a hemorrhoid. A hemorrhoid can also cause streaks of blood. The most common cause of this type of pain is an anal fissure. This often results from the presence of the hemorrhoid and is a tear in the anal mucosa. It will heal in time but will heal more quickly with the use of a prescription steroid cream. This can easily be diagnosed by physical exam by your regular Dr. You should have an exam and an accurate diagnosis before treating it.

DrK99 :

If you are able to see the hemorrhoid externally it can be treated with Anusol or Preparation H over the counter as well as A and D ointment for comfort. Steroid cream that is over the counter can also be applied to an anal fissure. Stool softeners like docusate sodium, over the counter, are helpful during the healing process.

Nothing to do with IBD right? I know the difference between IBS and IBD but I read somewhere that IBD led to complications in the anus area. I am guessing IBD leads to more fistulas and strictures - not fissures - right?

Dr. K., MD
Experience: Board certified.
You are right when you say that IBD leads to strictures and not fissures.Fissures are usually caused by tearing of the anal mucosa at the anal canal mostly due to passage of hard constipated stools.The tear then gets infected,repeated passage of hard stools leads to a chronic fissure formation which may cause severe pain and streaks of blood in the stools.Conservative management for treating anal fissures will include measures to have soft stools which do not strian the anus.this will include adequate intake of fluids ,especially water,soaking in warm water or using a sitz bath ,using medicated wipes or baby wipes instead of toilet paper,use of fibre supplemens like Citrucel or metamucil,local application of Preparation-H,Anusol or Anusol-HC(steroids will reduce the inflammation),including fruits,vegetables,salads,whole grain prducts in your diet and getting some exercise regularly.Stool supplements like docusate and bulking agents will also help.Most anal fissures will respond to these measures,some will need treatment by a proctocologist or surgery.Botox injections and blod pressure medicine like nifedepine may help locally in relaxing the anal sphincter and aid healing.Your PCP will be able to examine you and guide you further.
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience
Thanks for your payment. Let me know if you need more help.
Thank you for the acceptance and excellent answer.I am available at this site in case you have any further questions.