Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

DR. RICK ONLY-: The canker sore is getting better; the article

DR. RICK ONLY-:
The canker sore is getting better; the article you sent was most helpful....
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

Madeleine,

It is no problem that you have started a new thread :-)

Customer:

I'm here....

Customer:

FYI-

RickMD :

I'm glad to hear that the sore is better. At this point I think you would be just fine to let the sore finish healing and see if the other issues get better also.

Customer:

'Been using Bezocaine spray: pretty potent, but it works! The only trouble IS--it does not last long :(

RickMD :

Of course, if the ear gets worse or even if you are just worried, it wouldn't hurt anything (other than your pocketbook :) to see an ENT doctor for her opinion,.

RickMD :

And it tastes bad :(

Customer:

Yes--i agree

Customer:

Yes but then you are so numb that you do not care!!!!

RickMD :

Truth.... :)

RickMD :

Give it though the weekend and see how things go.....how does that sound for a plan?

Customer:

I am wondering HOW, medically-speaking, the canker sore CAN conceivably affect so many other places????

Customer:

Sounds like a Plan :))

RickMD :

That is a very good question and we really don't know a lot about canker sores so it is hard to say....

Customer:

But they are so very COMMON that one would think Dox KNOW Stuff....

RickMD :

But that is why ENT doctors were invented lol!

Customer:

Ah HAH!

RickMD :

That is why it is called "practicing" medicine

Customer:

Yes, i always wondered about that as well!!

RickMD :

Now the truth is out....

RickMD :

lol!

Customer:

Well....i shall wait thru the weaken [SIC] and then is it OK to leave this thread open and get your advice again on say, Sun. eve. or mon. AM?

RickMD :

Busy schedule in the OR tomorrow so I'm off to review the patients charts and hit the sack. Let me know how you are doing later next week.

Customer:

Happy Operating!!

RickMD :

Sure. We can just switch over to Q&A format so that it stays open and go from there.

Customer:

Thanx so much, Rick-

RickMD :

I like being in the OR.....my favorite part of being a retina surgeon :)

Customer:

can you switch it over for me?

RickMD :

my pleasure. Have a good night.

RickMD :

Sure. Here we go to Q&A.....

RickMD :

I'll leave things open there.

Customer:

Next week you can tell me what you ,ike best about retinas and the OR--OK?(as well as comment on the stoooopid canker sore issue)?

RickMD :

will do.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

GOOD NEWS: The canker, at long-last is improving, and the ear/throat discomfort is all but gone! YAY!!!!

Now tell me what you like about retinas-and i will ask a few eye questions in return, OK?

Thanx,

~M~

it is very high tech surgery that no other doctors can do. Also on any given day some rare retina issue might walk into the office.....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Dr. Rick-:

Wow, that is impressive. My hip surgeon told me something similar(in a diff. area, of course!); that he doesn't need to do robotic surgery; he has "studied w/the best"(at Special Surgery in NYC here) and does/did not require a robot....kinda similar? And he is quite proud of his work as well...I think that is good-you like your job and find it challenging....how many can say that??? It must be stressful at times, no?

So here are a few eye queries:

1. I am "glaucoma-suspicious--"so my pressures get watched, i have a visual field test yearly as well as exam which looks right at the optic nerve. Pressures have run as high as 21-22 and as low as 18-19....but i have not yet been given drops-Do you think yearly is enough to go to the Optholmologist?I worry a little....

2. Best tips for dry eye during computer use when i wear my contacts(which is practically always)?

THANX A MILLION!

~Madeleine~

Your pressures are basically within the normal range (10 to 21). Your ophthalmologist must see something that makes him concerned that this pressure is too high for the health of your optic nerve.

I think yearly is good enough if your ophthalmologist thinks it is :)

Use preservative free artificial tears every 3 to 4 hours or more often if needed. If this is not enough you can ask your eye doc about punctal occlusion to make your tears last longer.

Try to blink more while on the computer.

Did you say you were willing to pay a million dollars for this advice? That is great! lol!
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC