Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

My timeline of symptoms are below: 1/16/13 - symptoms

My timeline of symptoms are below:

1/16/13 - symptoms start - burning nerve sensation inner thighs, legs, groin, scrotom, buttocks

1/21/13 - streaky open sore shows up on left inner thigh crease where groin meets leg, it was red on the inside with little slits, looked like I had been "scratched". Noticed a similar streak on my right inner thigh crease but it was not an open sore. The sore leaked a small amount of clear fluid. Still had burning sensation, discomfort in groin, muscle aches in legs/groin, lower back ache, and fatigue. I went to two doctors, one diagnosed me with "jock itch", the other wasn't sure what it was. They both agreed it wasn't herpes given the atypical presentation. I also got two iGg blood tests for herpes taken and igm blood test taken that day. All tests negative.

1/25/13 - symptoms eased up besides minor burning/tingling at cut area and top of thighs, rash has 3/4 healed over, it now resembles a pink streak.

I have been applying an antifungal cream to the area since 1/21 (9 days ago when i first saw the scratchy looking sore). It is 3/4 healed and pink. This is another concern because it makes me think that it follows the typical 10-14 day healing process of herpes.

1) Do you think this is herpes? I have researched that an atypical herpes lesion could appear as a scratch or fissure. What does your gut tell you? If there was another explanation I might be able to wrap my head around it, but I have found nothing. Could a fungal infection actually cause the symptoms?

2) Could I be one of the 5% who always show up negative on a igg blood test? If I had acquired it 2+ years ago could my body have not created enough detectable antibodies since it hadn't been "attacked" until recently?

3) Would it have to come from my most recent partner? I have been faithful the entire 2 years but have had a history of 20 partners, she has had 4. Or could it have been dormant?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

Customer:

thanks rick

RickMD :

just reading.....

Customer:

okay great let me know when you are ready

RickMD :

Given the presentation and lab results, I do not think it is herpes.

RickMD :

fungus is a very good thought. 9 days of cream is not long enough to get rid of it...but it is better, so that goes along with this possible diagnosis.

RickMD :

I very much doubt you are one of the few negative IgG patients.... If you were infected two years ago, you would have IgG

Customer:

do you think the igG and igM tests are accurate enough, i have read differing opnions on this

Customer:

yea but could it have been dormant never attacking me, thus I would not have produced antibodies to fight it?

RickMD :

I think you need to stop worrying about herpes.....I believe there is nothing in what you have posted, including your number of past sexual partners that you and your current partner have had that make me think differently.

RickMD :

The tests are accurate enough. You need to delete Google from your computer :-)

Customer:

the symptoms were just so odd, I have never experienced this tingling/burning nerve pain

Customer:

one of the doctors I just asked 5 minutes ago on here told me he was 90% sure I have herpes

RickMD :

I'd not worry about it.......I've had a lot of weird physical sensations that turned out to be nothing.....and I've had a lot more sexual partners then you have and never contracted herpes or any other STD.....

RickMD :

I do not agree with that doctor.

RickMD :

although Dr. Abid is a good doctor......

RickMD :

Given your clinical presentation, lab results and progress I don't think you need to worry about herpes.

Customer:

I had sex with my gf on friday, she started having this muscle pain in her back and back of ribs on one side

RickMD :

And, in any case, if you have herpes, there is nothing you can do to change that fact....so why worry?

Customer:

and is still having it, could that be a first sign of infection

RickMD :

I do not think that your GFs pains have anything to do with herpes.

RickMD :

no.....it has nothing to do with Herpes.

Customer:

90% sure by Dr. Abid is worrisome

RickMD :

I think that the best thing you can do is talk with doctor about why you are so anxious about this issue. If you could get this anxiety under control you would be a lot happier.

Customer:

okay thanks for your help

RickMD :

Dr. Abid is a very good doctor and gives good advice but I do not believe he has fully understood your issue.

RickMD :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

Customer:

what is the false negative rate for these igg and igm tests

RickMD :

I believe you have done a very good job of doing everything to evaluate the possibility of having herpes...and all results show that you do not. Now all you have to do is believe it.

RickMD :

I would put it at less then 5%. That means it is more then 95% accurate.

RickMD :

I suggest you continue to use the cream as directed.

Customer:

okay thanks

Customer:

have a good one

RickMD :

you too :)

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC