Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,30 years of experience

HEMOGLOBIN A 84.5 L >96.0 % IG HEMOGLOBIN F <1.0 <2.0 % HEMOGLOBIN

Customer Question

HEMOGLOBIN A 84.5 L >96.0 % IG
HEMOGLOBIN F <1.0 <2.0 %
HEMOGLOBIN A2 (QUANT) 2.4 1.8-3.5 %
OTHER HEMOGLOBIN 1
HEMOGLOBIN VIENTIANE AT 13.1%
INTERPRETATION
Most consistent with Hemoglobin Vientiane trait.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? DO I HAVE THALSEMMIA?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JA
First of all
Is there any in the family?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My grandfather had blood cancer. he was on blood transfusion for 3 months, then he died. my mother and father had no issues as far as i know, only there blood groups were different, A+ and B-

OK
hang on a minute
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is the Hemoglobin Vientiane more commonly known as Hemoglobin 'E' variant?

sorry I am still checking into this
hang on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay

OK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you need more info?

No yet
I need to research the Vientiane term here
hold on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i think, its gonna take long. take your time. btw is it still thalsemmia? is it serious?

Actually I have reviewed your questions, and I am going to opt out so that perhaps another expert will help you
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.
The presence of persistent anaemia and Thalassemia is seen in the women and children of Vientiane municipality of Thailand.The disease is known to occur in the Lao women of that area ,the thalassemia may be due to alpha/Beta chain abnormality as also high incidence of haemoglobin E.Your report is suggestive of Thalassemia ,iron deficiency is known to occur extensively in the region which contributes to the anaemia.The use of osmotic fragility(OF test) testing,DiChlorophenol Indophenol Precipitate testing(DCIP test),Haemoglobin Electrophoresis, and a full haemogram along with serum iron and ferritin testing will help evaluate the problem.It would be prudent to be evaluated by a Haematologist who can thoroughly evaluate the problem and guide you further.This is a genetic condition which needs full evaluation before any recommendations are made.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well, interestingly I am from New Delhi, India, my family is also entirely from India. I don't know what this region is that you're talking about.

As for me, i was initially told that i have IDA. so i got blood transfusion and iron infusions. that improves blood level but not for a long time.

I was curious if i have thalassemia and how serious is this?

Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.

The northern belt of India has pockets which have Thalassaemia. This is also present in Sri Lanka,Burma and Thailand,tropical belts and islands which have extensive history of malaria.I am from Meerut, near Delhi,and know for a fact that around 6% of people either have thalassaemia or carry the Thalassaemia trait.Haemoglobin D is a abnormal variant of Haemoglobin seen in Gujaratis and Punjabis,Haemoglobin E is seen in Bengalis,Assamese and people of Nepalese descent.This Haemoglobin E presence would resemble the Vientaine variant of thalassaemia.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3237251/ would be a article of interest.

Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,DTM&H,30 years of experience
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the comment that I rock.You are very kind,I hope you get well soon and have no serious problems with the Thalassemia.God bless and may you be blessed with good health and peaceful times and contentment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

waw, thats so sweet of you. thank you so much. i am doing pretty awesome!

Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome.