Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

Sorry, my computer cut out on me. I believe I may have contracted

Sorry, my computer cut out on me. I believe I may have contracted HIV from a partner
Thank you for your question:

Have you had unprotected sex with someone who is HIV positive?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was a one night stand and I had unprotected sex. This was someone I did not know before or after. 3 days after the sex, I contracted a very bad cold that lasted 5 weeks. This cold is going around in this area, San Francisco. but the timing of the cold was very suspicious

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am having trouble with my computer. Are you still there?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you see my answer to your question?

How long ago was this incident?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

About 6 weeks ago

The risk of developing HIV from a single sexual encounter is much lower than most people suspect. The risk of contracting HIV of course would only apply if the partner was HIV positive.

Statistically speaking a cold is unlikely to be caused by or signs of HIV. The common cold, influenza or other viral infection is MUCH more likely to be the cause of your symptoms.

You should of course see your physician to arrange for an HIV test if for no other reason than to relieve your anxiety about this incident.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If one were to contract HIV what would the symptons be and how soon would they show up?

HIV is very often NOT associated with any particular symptoms, and when symptoms are seen they are typically very non-specific and short-lived.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My final question and I appreciate your help. If one had HIV how would you know? Would you eventually become very sick and would large sores appear on your skin that do not heal? I am very worried about this, as you can see. Do the test yourself kits work?

HIV infection EVENTUALLY will lead to AIDS if left untreated. This can take YEARS after intial infection.

There is a very common misunderstanding the AIDS is the same as HIV infection. While HIV infection is necessary for the development of AIDS, an infection with the virus is NOT the same as the advanced symptoms (inability to fight infection etc) seen with AIDS.