Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

DR. RICK: Have an AWFUL canker sore!

Have an AWFUL canker sore!

RickMD :

I am online and happy to help you with your question today.

RickMD :

I'm sorry to hear that....

RickMD :

Here is a home remedy you can make to help with the pain:

RickMD :

Mix equal amounts of Milk of Magnesia or Kaopectate and Benylin or Benadryl. Milk of Magnesia and Kaopectate both have stuff in them that coat wet tissues, such as those in the mouth. Benylin and Benadryl contain ingredients that act as mild topical numbing agents and antihistamines (which reduce inflammation).

RickMD :

Apply to the canker sore with your finger or a qtip

RickMD :

you can also make a paste out of cayenne pepper and apply to the sore. This is stronger then the stuff I mentioned above.

RickMD :

you can also suck on an ice cube, putting it against the sore.....

RickMD :

Here is a very good article that discusses canker sores in detail from a highly reliable source:

RickMD :

The good news? This will resolve in time.

RickMD :

I hope you feel better soon :)

RickMD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Now, in addition to the HORRIBLE sore, i have discomfort in the back of my throat and in my EAR!

WHAT is going on?????

Madeleine,

I am sorry to hear that you are still having so much difficulty. While the throat discomfort can be related to your canker sore I am concerned that something else is going on with your ear. At this point I think it is time to "throw in the towel" and consult with an ENT doctor. While she is checking out your ear she can also have a look at your throat.

It is safe for you to mash the positive feedback button now :-)

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

By the way, how did the home therapy we discussed above work out? Did it take away the pain?